Hello? Anyone home?

Like the one for sale on the 205 GTi forum at the mo? Damn I wish I had more money!

?image=green309brakes205forumez9.jpghttp://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=green309engine205forumcj6.jpg I think the engine in there is actually the one out of my old BX 16v that I did up (the black one).

I think I might buy either a 205 or 309 GTi later this year. Considering how many different models I've owned of both I've still never sampled the GTi variants.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I honestly hadn't seen that till you posted it. That would be my exact spec! How much is it as a matter of interest?

Reply to
Iridium

Around £3k I believe, which is a lot of money for a 309!

Not much info, but summary of spec is: "309 goodwood,mi/gti-6 engine,cat cams,KMS engine management,willwood brakes,KW coilovers,quaife diff resprayed and de-locked." So a fair bit of money has been spent!!

Thread here if you're registered on there:

Carl Gibbs

No: it wouldn't because the first thing you would do is comparing it to your V6. I think you would be dissapointed from the moment you stepped in and heared the door closing with that quality sound of empty bin...

Never ever go down on the performance ladder.

Might I suggest a Lotus Exige as Sir's next motor?

You know it makes sense and compared to your actual wheels is has a bigger boot, which can however do the dissapearing act when you fit the big carbon fiber inlet. Compared to the 309 16V the sound of the closing door is the same but it won't rust nor fall off.

Coming to the UK soon: Hickely, Leicester because enough ain't nearly egough enough! We allready decided on the colour, the engine remains a bit of a battle still.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

That means one thing. Ultima GTR or Can Am?

FWIW the American engines seem very good value for money but their power claims can be a bit iffy according to an old CCC I've got here.

Reply to
Doki

GTR and before you ask: orange.

My little brother felt that it would be better to step away from our "all black" cars and go for something more noticeable, because in fact the Ultima (seen a racing version of it in Ostend) is not that big.

Indeed but it's not the power that bothers me. I guess anything above

350 rearwheel HP in a 1000 kg car with a lot of grip must not be that bad.

Firstly it seems a bit going-backwards having again a carburetor and all the troubles (gasguzzling, idling like a tractor and those lovely carburatorfires) that go with it.

Secondly I have some Porsche V8's lying in the workshop doing nothing: from 240 HP (an old 16V Porker), a 320HP V8 (32V 5.0l) and a V8 GTS- engine (5.4l and rated at 350 HP). Just asked the Ultima factory if these fit as they are a bit wider/heavier than the American V8.

On the other hand: the American V8 "falls" in while with the Porsche I need to drysump it, sort the problems out that come with a different engine, etc etc.

Finally, there is my 928 GTS with a rather special engine coming over from the US: 6.9 l stroker engine (new crank, rods and pistons), special valves, flowed everything, other cams, special exhaust etc... Been promised 650 to 700 HP at the crank.

Such an engine (around 20000 US$ and US$ / Eur makes this interesting) should give the Ultima some poice while being a bit more modern than the

1950-designed American unit. I am no snob (I hope) for prefering Porsche to Chevy but with Porsche you have a certain peace of mind: they have been there, I have never know a Porsche delivering less than promised.

A mail went to California in order to have confirmation that the G50- Porsche box can be mated to the 928 bell housing. It is a strange world where you have to send or ask Porsche tuning specs to California and not to Germany... Porsche for reasons proper to themselves seem not to like to modify the 928 V8.

It seems as if completing a cycle: went away from British cars and all their problems, couldn't resist the Elise charme and now diving head first for what is after all still a kitcar and comes in pieces.

Nothing bad about that but the Belgian autorities will see me coming: "Oh no!! Again that fool! Does he has the paperwork? Bugger, he has! How can we protect him for himselve? Can't we just shoot him?"

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Hmm, that IS a lot for a 309...

But that spec is quite impressive.

Alas I'm not.

Reply to
Iridium

I didn't really mean as a replacement, more a toy for track days at Elvington heh. But I see what you're saying yea. I suppose it's all the fibre glass, but the Vee does have a very satisfying solid feel.

I'd love to, I really would. But as of yet, my back isn't up to it. Too much surgery last year left me missing 6 ribs and all the muscle down the right side of my spine. Climbing in and out would just be too much work heh. Maybe I'll look back at this in 6 months though - currently 'waiting and seeing' with respect to another suspicous bit of my back anyway - which may mean more hospital time/surgery/worse.

Current thinking would be if I needed more comfort, Mk4 Golf R32. Ok, they're not the last word in performance or thrills, but they're hugely grippy (almost dull) and as fast as the Vee, even if they don't feel it. Vag Com can weight up the steering I beleive, and I'm told a remap works wonders for the engines revability.

An the Ultima - I'll be needing pictures of that ;-)

Reply to
Iridium

Comfort + Speed.

E55AMG. Alpina B5. Which reminds me, whatever happened to the Alpinatwat? Alistair J Murray are you still there???

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Too big, too hard to insure/maintain heh.

Reply to
Iridium

Clio V6 - hmmm. Can't imagine an E55 or Alpina being much more to own. Plus you only need one leg to drive them!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

No the insurance is surprisingly OK! £900, an S2000 was £1,400, Scooby £2,400!

And I don't like autos :-) It has to fit in my drive too hehe.

Reply to
Iridium

I can get the grey whale into our back yard, and that normally houses a Fabia, or more recently a Yaris.

Completly filled the avialable space though.

Reply to
Elder

Are you suggesting that somebody chops Dan's clutch leg off and uses the parts from it to rebuild his back?

If he gets a set of hand controls he doesn't even need any legs!

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Top of the list of cars I want when I'm minted. Maybe not orange.

IIRC there's the hugely low airspeed at idle for the big yank V8s can cause problems with injection. I can't remember the specifics, but the yanks to say you "can't" inject them.

Reply to
Doki

Bah! Learn to drive.

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Heh, reminds me of the Uni car park. Occasionally I got out, locked up and pushed the car into a space with only inches to spare.

Car was a ~200k mile Peugeot 205. Peace be upon it.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I think that's a bit behind the times. Chevrolets have been injected since the early eighties (Not counting the original fuelie Corvette ( '63 IIRC). The basic block has had a few revisions since the '55 model. Gen 1, LT1, LS1,LS2 etc .Check specs on latest LS9

Reply to
Terminal Crazy

Oh there is enough room to get out, although if it was any wider there would have been a wheel on the decking and my knackers in a sling.

Reply to
Elder

Talking of Mk1 Mondeo rear bumpers, my Dad's one (P reg - had it 10 years) has just been written off by someone smacking into the back of it.

Reply to
AstraVanMan