Help me...

(if you get a car on contract hire, do you have to pay a couple of K up front as well?)

I reckon you're overestimating the additional maintenance the old car will cost you.

Also you appear to be saying the 15K price of the car is important to you - surely it's irrelevant, it's what the car does, not what it costs which is important.

Back to a point I made a couple of weeks ago about you only considering 'banger a month' and shiny new, and you said you wouldn't consider the mid-point worthwhile. I still reckon you're underestimating the cheap end of the market. Even really quite cheap bangers (ie 500 quid or below) last well over two years if chosen sensibly.

So do what you said you wanted to do : get an old golf GTI, and wait till somebody makes a car you want again.

(you're not doing well on soft tops at the moment, are you? no good words about the 306, and you won't have another beetle...)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

VW Beetle cabrio - if I wanted to cut the roof off a Skoda...

As for the 1 series - surely, better a rich mans vectra than a poor mans beemer?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Ohhh, I don't know. You'd get a good W124 for less.

Service costs are only marginally more than a 540i though tyres are a bit steep at £380/£420 f/r per axle.

Not a B10 but

is in budget and black... :)

Bills need not be too fierce if you make absolutely sure nothing important is broken...

Cooling, compression and cogs are the main worries beyond fastidious servicing.

[...]

Not sure, big bluff lump of iron and no manual option in the UK.

At least. H1 seems to be on an "of course we could build another" basis rather than having a list price.

[...]

Silly name for a shop in Selkirk!

Alistair J Murray

mate used to work for a Fiat dealer in the heyday of the X1/9 - once took a customer out who was complaining about his car and spun it. Twice.

I want one.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Or this:

Alistair J Murray

I'm considering the 1 series to be a car rather than a brand.

In fact, much the same as I am the Saab. I don't want a 'rich man's' or 'poor man's' anything, I want a car I like. I don't like 9-3s, I don't like Vectras, I certainly don't want a Post-GM Saab 9-3 and especially not one that looks like a 1988 Vauxhall Cavalier.

I'd rather have the Cadillac Bacon Lettuce Sandwich.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

2 door, though. Siani would complain. What's the Touring model of that called again?

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Less is the thing. If I get a W124 which isn't a cabriolet, I get the nicest 300TE I can get for the lowest price; probably around 1991ish for under £2K. I wouldn't spend £6K on it in a million years. However, it would potentially need rear suspension (few hundred, IIRC), could suffer a blown head gasket or similar malady without a warranty, and let me down. The reliability of a new car is reassuring.

Hell, I have a 1999 Subaru Outback after all. It's not been stellar.

Looks alright, but 3-series... 540i Touring would be more my thing, I think.

*nods* Cogs are the ones that scare me. Autoboxes can go with little warning, and I'd want an auto. I do like the idea of the 928 a lot, though...

You don't need a manual with a decent engine :D

Yeah. So, 300C and a 645Ci. Or a Bentley. Or something else.

The H1 makes less sense to me than a 116i ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Must have been going some to spin it! I spun mine once (well, 180d it twice in rapid succession), but in ice. Incredible car; I swear it tied itself to my synapses and drove through some sort of neural net.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Ahhh like a Hyundai?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

No, a Stellar would have been another Hyundai. A car first, a badge second?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Isn't it the car the MR2 was designed to? Never managed to be as amazing to drive though.

X1/9 always felt like it had twice the power it really did.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Which reminds me - how did you get so many? If it's the obvious average of a car a month, that's not exactly building experience of ownership over a couple of years, is it?

Fortunately my preferred cars are lovely, cheap and reliable - and I believe Mr Payne may have one for sale :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Right on.

K3wl. Wish everyone did. Unless it's a large 4X4, obviously.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

C2 2.7 Touring.

:)

This is a *little* over budget, but local

I'd buy it from you in a few years. >8)

Alistair J Murray
[...Richard6K...]

You want the 300TE-24 or the 320, not so much for the 4-valve motor but the 5-speed smart gearbox.

'bout £4-500 tops...

...for the lot.

A well looked after W124 will be as reliable as most new cars.

[...]

You'd get a late E34 with the adaptive box (which is *ace*) for less but not likely an E39.

The 4.0 M60 is a real rev monster compared to the 4.4 M62. :)

[...928...]

I'd imagine the placement of the box would make changes less grief, but I could be very wrong.

[...]

There are some amazing permutations on the IS shell - the US got the 3l with a manual, no-one else did - but the one off IS430 and the JDM Altezza RS200 are the only really interesting ones...

Doubt you'd get an Altezza RS200 anywhere near budget and an IS430 is hand knit only.

Yeah, like a house or two.

I believe that may be almost the *entire* point of the H1. :)

Alistair J Murray

The 9-3 SS is actually a nice car. And I don't like what GM have done to Saab. They took the vectra floor pan/platform, fixed it and gave back. Then GM launched the "New" vectra just before the 9-3 SS and Convert.

I don't like the new V6 engine either, but at least it is a new US GM engine and not the Cav/Vectra Euro V6

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Erm, at a guess, Alpina C2 Touring?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That's me told then! However, I suggest you try one of the new ones. You WILL be pleasantly surprised. Saab have definitely made the chassis their own, adding a quantity of rear-steer amongst other things. If your mind is on the old hatchback 9-3 then I'd totally agree with you, a horrible vehicle. Saab had already designed the replacement for the original

900 when at the last moment GM bought them, they had less than a year to redesign to fit cav/vectra underpinnings.

If you can't be persuaded/ prised from you teutonic boredom, the second link still stands as BSR offer the same untraceable power hikes for VAG (along with Volvo)

Go on, open your mind :-)

Reply to
Ken

You want to buy? (c: