Help required: VAG 2.0 engine questions.

Hi,

I've already search the internet for my answers, but not found what I wanted.

1=2E What're the symptoms of a knackered MAF?

2=2E Where can I get info on the 2.0 AQY engine? (PeteM, I was kinda hoping you'd know?!) I'm curious about how it differs from the other

2=2E0 engines VW make and was looking for some sort of =FCberresource on it. Not found one.

Thanks,

Roger.

Reply to
conkersack

Have you asked on vwvortex?

Reply to
Depresion

  1. Usually flat spots in the rev range. MAF problems are very common on VAG engines. If you are having running problems and you suspect the maf, best method of checking is to disconnect the maf. If the engine running problems are better, the MAF is most likely goosed. If they continue, the maf is not at fault.

The *BEST* resource on the web for mk4 Golf's and Bora's is the UK-MKIV.net site. Have a look at the link below.....

diy-newby

Alternatively, do you know anyone with vag-com? This is the only 100% guaranteed way of diagnosing a faulty maf. You need to log the maf results at full throttle over the entire rev range and check the peak air intake results. On a petrol engined car, the peak air should be approx 80% of the car's bhp. So on your 2.0, you need to be looking for a figure of 92.

Reply to
diy-newby

Nope, I didn't know about them. But I do now. Cheers.

Reply to
conkersack

Well, that's exactly what I've got. I did a bit of fumbling about the net last night which put the idea of a knackered MAF in my head, but in the great tradition of stupid question vs. stupid mistake, I thought I'd ask first.

I read somewhere that dirty electrical connectors may also be a problem (as well as a dirty MAF), so I'll check this tonight. If that's fruitless, then I'll investigate the actual sensor.

That's brilliant, thanks mate.

Reply to
conkersack

I think the garage I use has it, I'll get him to have a look if my Columbo-ing doesn't pan out.

Thanks again.

Reply to
conkersack

Also, whilst I'm thinking, can I ask what the potential drawbacks are to running the car without the MAF connected? (I don't plan to do this, I'm just curious)

Cheers.

Reply to
conkersack

The ECU will just use "default" parameters to control fuelling as it is getting no signal from the MAF. You could always try cleaning the maf with electrical contact cleaner, as an initial step. Take out the two security bits that secure the maf to the housing. Pull out, and spray electrical contact cleaner onto the wire. This has been known to help short term.

Reply to
diy-newby

Would have a negative effect on the fuel economy and/or power developed?

This was my plan!

Thanks again.

Reply to
conkersack

Yup. The fuelling will be 'guessed' and the timing will be wound right back, causing a loss of power and increased fuel consumption. Your catalytic convertor probably won't appreciate it over the long term, either.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts