Hmmm... wheel sizes

Whoops.

I just bought some old alloys to go on my Mondeo. Largely because I needed some new wheeltrims anyway, and also some new tyres soon, so buying four alloys with nearly new tyres on for £80 on EBay seemed like a bargain...

For some reason I've got it stuck in my head that it has 15" wheels, so the new ones (off an old 4-stud Scorpio) would have taken it from

185/65R15 to 195/65R15, hardly any difference in rolling diameter.

Sadly now I have the wheels here I find I'm actually going from

185/65R14 to 195/65R15 - about 6% bigger...

Luckily when I check it with GPS my speedo consistently overreads by 6%, so putting these on will only make the speedo read dead-on, so it stays legal.

Eventually I'll go for broke and fit 195/55R15s instead which will take it back to the original diameter, but for now can anybody see any potential problems with using the bigger tyres all round?

Reply to
PC Paul

If the offsets are OK and the tyres don't foul anything, I'd think it would be OK. Watch the insurance though...

Reply to
Chris Bartram

The PCD and offset are identical, not sure about fouling yet as I haven't fitted them. Looks OK though, the standard Mondeo (Mk.1) wheels look a bit small in the arches to me.

My new insurance starts on Friday and I've already declared the alloys, an aftermarket exhaust and a beefier air filter. According to the broker, driving it in a 'more standard' condition than it's declared for is fine, then I can add the bits as and when.

All those only added about £25 over the standard policy, which was nice. One of the few benefits of getting old... :-(

Reply to
PC Paul

It may foul somewhere along the arch, perhaps not unladen, perhaps three or more up.

Are the new wheels as wide as the old?

You'll also raise the gearing by 6%, so the torque output at the road, gear for gear and rev for rev, will be 6% less. That makes a noticeable difference.

Reply to
DervMan

I'll keep an eye on it... if it does rub badly I'll just have to go for smaller tyres sooner than anticipated - but it'll still be on some nice alloys instead of steels with knackered wheeltrims.

Mine currently has 5.5Jx14 steel rims but the Si version was originally specced with 205s on 6Jx15 rims - these are 195s on 6Jx15 rims, so the width shouldn't be an issue, only the diameter.

I realise that - I can live with it for a while. It's the 2.0 136bhp version, so it's not exactly short of power for general driving about, and most of what I use it for is gentle A roads or motorway trips, where longer legs will make for a more relaxed drive.

And then eventually I'll probably go back to 195/55R15 tyres anyway (with the original rolling diameter), and I'll feel the benefit properly!

Of course it's always possible that a replacement exhaust (needs a new one soon anyway) and a better air filter will get that 6% back.

Or maybe not...

Maybe I'll just *have* to justify getting a Megasquirt after all....

Reply to
PCPaul

4-stud Scorpio?
Reply to
ThePunisher

Yeah, these:

They went to 5 stud after a shortish while, I believe...

Reply to
PCPaul

Actually, I was thinking, new wheelarches myself...

Big bump + oversized tyres = rubbing / ripping. :-/

You'll probably be okay, you're not going from 14" to 19" or anything silly, though.

That's more like it.

Worse, since you're having to work it harder, you may find it annoying. :)

Reply to
DervMan

They're early Mondeo Ghia / Si wheels anyway. 205/50/15s were factory fit.

Nope, all Frog-Eye Scorpios are 4 stud, it's Granadas that are 5 stud.

don't forget, some Mondeos were fitted with 16" wheels from the factory anyway.

Reply to
Pete M

Ah well, The link between Scorpios and Grandad CSorpios is all a bit fuzzy for me anyway...

I'll stick with these for now.. ;-)

Reply to
PCPaul

In the 'states the Granada was called the Scorpio. When the 'Ford Scorpio' came out in the UK they just dropped the Granada name in favour of the Scorpio, like Vauxhall did with the Nova/Corsa.

Reply to
Abo

You will use marginaly more fuel, having the car higher of the ground. Suspension diagram will change a bit, maybe tire wear increase a bit. Confortwise you will encounter a slightly more compliant suspension.

If the tires do not touch, leave them on and forget about it.

You say your speedo stays legal: does your speedo get checked at MOT? If not, then again: why bother?

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Nothing too painful there.

Not so far as I know...

I like to try and stay legal. For the laws that I agree with, anyway ;-)

Reply to
PCPaul

I am a follower of -my personal- 4 Automotif Laws:

Law 1: Do notb hit other cars, people, things in general. Law 2: Do not get caught. Law 3: If you are caught, deny everything.

Tom - it wasn't me! You can't prove it! Why are you picking at me?- De Moor

Law 4: get a good lawyer!

Reply to
Tom De Moor