Holidays over...

in news:424170c5$0$65053$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net, "Mason" slurred :

I had it in the prelude, and used it, but I don't miss it at all. If I got another car that had it I would probably use it, but I wouldn't care in the least if it didn't. It's probably the least of-interest mod con available.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Quite - that may be true.

But - there's always a but, isn't there ;-) this isn't the first thread where he's been discussing how pants he thinks cruise control is (not that there's anything wrong in that - everybody is entitled to their opinion).

And given that, and accepting that he readily admits that he doesn't "cruise" at a particular speed, I just don't get why the experimentation - surely he knew it was never going to be for him. I mean it's not rocket science, it does what it says it does - mantains a set speed - if that's never going to suit, then why try it, and then make out it's the devil's own invention? ;-)

I guess it depends on your driving. For me, it makes journeys easier and less draining. I wouldn't want a car without it, now.

Reply to
Douglas Hall

I didn't !

I said it would be crap, and everyone said "Oooh no, it's great !". So I tried it. And it was crap.

Reply to
Nom

Yep, that's basically what I did. But I found I was using the right-pedal/go-faster-stalk most of the time...

Reply to
Nom

That's my point, though ;-)

What were you expecting? I mean it's not like there's any mystery as to what it does. If it's effects won't suit how you drive, then what's to be gained by demonstrating what is obvious about it?

I'm just a bit puzzled, really - driver readily admits he doesn't cruise at a steady speed, then tries cruise control because other drivers say it's great, then drive proclaims cruise control is a pile of pants.

I'm just struggling to understand why you would actually switch on something to maintain a steady speed, when that's not what you wanted, then proceed to criticise said feature ;-)

Reply to
Douglas Hall

If you find yourself trying to go quicker all the time, you've set the speed control too low. Too high and you'll come home to a porchful of speeding tickets.

Or keep dying, because speed kills, but other than that...

Reply to
Questions

I was quite happy to never ever use it ! But various folks on the the other thread said "Er, stop dissing it when you've never used it. It's great !". So I did use it. And now I can legitimately diss it. So there :P

Reply to
Nom

I was expecting it to be crap, which is why I'd never used it until that journey. And when I did use it, it was crap.

Nothing at all ! That's why I hadn't used it before, and why I won't use it again :)

Spot on.

Because it's rubbish ;)

Reply to
Nom

Yep - that was the problem I was having. The avoiding-speeding-tickets speed is continuously variable :/

Reply to
Nom

Do you mean you were expecting it to be crap at maintaining a constant speed, and it was?

Or that it was actually reasonably good at maintaining a constant speed, and you decided to use it for that, even though you didn't want to drive at a constant speed? ;-)

So the CC in your Peugeot ain't very good at maintaining a constant speed then?

So why try it?

What was to be established? Whether the system in your car was actually any good at doing what it should?

Or whether having some electronic gubbins maintain a constant speed, contrary to your wishes was likely to suit? ;-)

I'm a little puzzled at why you thinking trying it would resolve anything for you

Nice to know I've got the right end of the stick, old chap ;-)

That doesn't actually explain why you would actually try it, with the preconceptions and driving preferences you obviously have?

Do you mean the CC in your car _isn't_ any good at maintaining a constant speed?

Reply to
Douglas Hall

So you're dissing it based on it not being very good at maintaining a constant speed in your car?

Or simply dissing it based on driving at a constant speed?

'cos the latter appears to be a tad harsh ;-) what on earth did you expect, clairvoyance? ;-P

Reply to
Douglas Hall

Clearly this whole thread would have been saved if Nom had just said "Crap, for me". :)

Reply to
DanTXD

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, DanTXD decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I suspect it'd be a lot easier if Nom just admitted to being a crap driver.

Reply to
Pete M

No, it performs perfectly in that regard :)

Exactly :)

Yep.

Yep.

:)

Reply to
Nom

I can't be arsed to reply to this properly.

Suffice to say, the CC system is great at keeping a constant speed. But as I never keep constant speed, it's a BAD system for me to use.

Reply to
Nom

Yes, I think that's about the size of it :)

Reply to
Nom

A crap driver ? There's nothing wrong with my driving, thanks all the same.

Reply to
Nom

So it's not the Cruise Control that's crap then? :-p

Reply to
Pete M

Righto.

Still puzzled as to why you tried it, though. Don't get me wrong - I understand lotsa people were recommending it, but as you say you never keep constant speed, so why try and use it? Why switch on something that's actually going to do something you don't want it to do?

I'm clearly missing something, here - I'll accept the deficiency must be on my side, 'cos I'm just not getting it ;-)

Reply to
Douglas Hall

It performs the act of constant speed. I never use constant speed. Hence, it's rubbish.

Reply to
Nom