i'm insured!

insured on the turbo so the docs can be sent off for my MR2 turbo.

cheapest quote admiral with £1032 FC with £500 excess, not bad considering the car is group 20 and i'm only 22 with 2 years NCB eh :)

Reply to
Vamp

the car is group 20 and

Not bad at all - my 924 cost around £800 TPFT for me to insure... I'm 23, 4 yrs NCB and it's a LOT slower! I just realised how little extra I'd have to pay to get a turbo 924... think an upgrade is on the cards soon... :)

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

MR2 turbo...group 20???

are they?

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Cost of the bits if you prang it, innit.

OEM galvanised Porsche panels aren't cheap.

Reply to
SteveH

Group 16 for UK models, prolly import is higher

Reply to
ronny

UK model MR2 Turbo's is that :) ?

Reply to
DanTXD

Stop trying to argue by suggesting its slow :) Its quicker than a Saxo VTS or R5 GTT ;)

Everything of that ilk is group 20 - Impreza turbo's etc.

Reply to
DanTXD

I realise imports will be higher but group 20???

they aint that quick FFS.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

The grouping doesn't tell the full story, though.

Reply to
SteveH

yeah grouping is f*ck all really, quotes ranged from admirals £1k to budget's so called £3400!

budget wanted £2200 for a mk1 MR2 axa wanted just £475

Reply to
Vamp

I'm just waiting quietly for someone I know to sell his import then I'll hop on the band wagon with an auto estate. I was expecting your insurance to be obscene with you being so young.

Reply to
Depresion

Indeed. I have a dent in one front wing which has been there since I bought it... body repairer thinks he can rub it down, fill it and respray... but I know it'll just rust away if he goes through the galvanising. As it is, it's not rusting.. it just looks annoying. Good thing is that these things *really* don't rust if you don't hit anything. I had parts with no paint on at all that looked absolutely fine - even underneath the car. I've since treated the areas to underseal or paint, but it was amazing to see bodywork in such good condition. I've looked at other cars since buying the 924, but every one I look at makes me think 'yeah, but they rust'. ;)

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

IIRC, my Peugeot was a group 59, my Supra is a group 16 (17 for the Turbo), my Audi Quattro was a group 84, the Porsche 924S was group 85...

See, Direct line have 100 groups, but the Supra is insured on a classic policy at Firebond.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

An MR2 Auto Estate? Interesting concept.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You could swap to my classic policy there are only 5 groups. The 914/6 (only Porsche I checked on as I was looking at a nice one) is group 3 my G40 group 5 that's the same as a DB5. God knows how they come to up with these.

Reply to
Depresion

In news:1glb4yu.xeeuro1r5upv9N% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk, SteveH decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

It's that half empty glass again innit?

If I thought about "what happens if I prang it?" every time I bought a car, I'd never buy one.

Besides, didn't the 924 Turbo have plastic wings? Or was that the 924 GT?

Reply to
Pete M

Erm....

I wasn't thinking that at all. It was more a comment regarding insurance costs.

I've since found that OEM wings for them are unobtainable, which goes some way to explaining why the 924 attracts high insurance costs for it's performance.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah, furry muff then.

I think the reason 924s attract high insurance costs is they went through a huge spate of being driven by pikey wankers who wanted to own a Porsche, bought a 924, abused it, and finally burnt it out on the local school playing field when they discovered the price of parts...

Reply to
Pete M

True. Unfortunately.

I'm incredibly tempted by one, but the 2lt is a bit slow, with the 2.5 being stupidly expensive to run - you may as well have a proper 944 rather than a 924S, IMHO.

However, if a good, standard, late model (fully galvanised) 924 became available at the right price, then I'd definitely go for it.

Reply to
SteveH

In article , snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Nope, you don't. Even Porker owners who are normally all "Hows that VW924 of yours" types admit, the 924s 2.5 is better than the 944, because it is a 944 without the extra bulk that buggered the performance and handling (back to back comparison).

Now a 944 Turbo is a different ballgame again.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar