I've gone all Dervy.

Ahh but over here in pedants corner you're not expressing or measuring g, g is a constant 9.80665 m/s^2. You're measuring acceleration and using g as your unit value...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

True, but it's a valid base for a valid derivative unit, if we are to wind back the pedantry just a notch. I know, I know; where's the fun in that?

Reply to
albert_t_cone

Fuck off the lot of you.

Does it measure how dull your driving is? If so, it should be a dull-o-meter, not some fancy physics engine for measuring the Kemp value of your cornering.

Reply to
Pete M

Quite right.

It gives you a measure of how fast you were cornering whilst looking at the display on your phone instead of the road, and so you can work out if the hole you left in the hedge which was where the bend didn't carry on to is about the right size. Which is important.

Reply to
albert_t_cone

Speedometer does that?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Bah, a badly worded post. I meant that the device couldn't switch between kmh and mph, so you can't see your speed in mph.

Reply to
Abo

ROFL.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

It shows speed but not velocity, I think.

Reply to
Elder

What do you know, it works! SIM arrived this morning, I just topped up online as you say and it activated then. I'm posting from it now... VPN on my company laptop is happy with it too :)

Reply to
Abo

Made an order for work for Ebuyer, and they slung in an O2 normal sim to=20 push the network too. Not an iPhone one sadly.

I got our dongle working with windows, but the mac guys are having=20 troubles.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

It was £2.49 from eBay, and I've stuck it into a O2 PAYG dongle which I already had working. I just had to change the APN and I was away.

Meh, I just read afterward that the iPhone bolt on activates itself 24 hours after the SIM goes live, so I've probably just burned all my credit lol

Doh... I got it working in under a minute on Ubuntu, gnome network-manager recognised the dongle, keyed in the username, password and APN and that was it. In fact, it was easier and quicker than my Windows machine, as it didn't need to install any software etc.

Reply to
Abo

Not seen that anywhere but haven't done much online anyway.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

It was in the leaflet that came with the SIM. In usual style I got it all working, pissed about with it and *then* looked at the instructions...

Reply to
Abo

Ah, they got shoved in the work firesafe, then I got arround to adding=20 the generic software the the dongle because the guy we bought from had=20 unlocked the vodafone one, but not flashed it with generic software (we=20 were supposed be getting a 3 one, but his unlocker and supplier had sent=20 "unlocked" vodafone ones, so he knocked us =A310 of his price.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

Yeah, but is that the e220 that can be flashed up to 7.2meg where=20 available when unlocked?

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

Ah, I've just got a e160, the e220 was more expensive (I've just realised why), not by much though.

Wish I'd found out why, I've been out of the industry over three years and everything has moved on. 300kbps was the maximum then IIRC

Reply to
Abo

I can remember when I first used by mobile with a laptop and it was=20

9600kbps over GSM, connected to the laptop over IR.

As an aside, my voda contract includes unlimited internet. And win mobile 6.1 includes mobile internet sharing.

And as simple as connecting a USB cable, I have mobile 3g where ever=20 there is a 3G Voda signal. Just need be careful how much I use so they=20 don't get suspicious that I'm not using the phone as a browser.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

lol me too (9.6kbps though :P ), I was using a Nokia 9000 at the time. Then HSCSD seemed quick, and GPRS was like warp speed when it came out. I had NTL's fastest broadband at the time too, 512kbps...

Yeah mine has that. I was toying with the idea of getting mine unlocked and using the O2 SIM in it. I'll just divert my Orange contract number to the O2 number.

Reply to
Abo

Ericsson SH888 for me. And a Palm IIIe.

Email on the move. It was revolutionary at the time.

It absolutely astounded my colleagues - but we were still on Token Ring networking at work, with IBM 'clicky' green screen terminals at work back then.

Reply to
SteveH

When the F*ck was that? Token ring went out in 1990 anyhere that wasn't staffed by dinosaurs.

Reply to
Steve Firth