is this a nob thing to do?

Also their house is up a dirt track and they had just been dropped off by the bus.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002KEL.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm so gonna go buy a straw hat and a banjo!

60mph is the NSL for single carraigeway roads without street lighting, it does not apply to country roads with abandon.

So you were just driving without regard for concealed entrances that you knew were there ?
Oh, and they were playing football a minute ago, but now they've just got off a bus. Your continuity *rocks*.
--
Lordy.UK

eh? Well I always thought unmarked B roads where 60mph... what is the speed limit then?

I'll take a pic of the area tomorrow, you can see where they widened it. If I wasn't driving with due care and attention I would of hit the kid.

Yes I stated he was chasseing a ball his brother had kicked (if I can be arsed to take a pic tomorrow you can see the slope, the kid couldn't of stopped). I was on my way back home from collage, the primary school bus is always around the same time I come back, give or take 5 mins so I have to be careful of a few areas where the kids linger (especially in the summer) before going indoors after the bus has dropped them off. I always consciously cover the brake when I pass them, now more than ever.
Lucky bastard missed out on some broken bones by about 2 ft and just got clear before I screeched past! I kept looking back expecting him to be holding his arm or something where I had caught him but the stupid little ass and his brother where jumping up and down pointing at the skid marks, in the middle of the road...

Who knows, it can be a bit of a gray area and is something that is currently being looked into.

And presumably the ones in your pants :)
--
Lordy.UK

lol nahh I think I was clenched up tighter than the security at fort knox for about 2-3 seconds ;)

Its a good job he was, as he's already said, doing 40mph then....
--
Dan

If you left rubber you REALLY need to learn how to brake properly. I suggest a track day might be in order.
Fraser

I didn't have time to think about it really, I suppose the instant adrenaline rush made it worse! I just saw the kid and stabbed the brakes with everything I could muster, i'm just glad I didn't hit the accelerator like that poor bloke that is going to trail atm... ruined the kids families life and his.

No excuse. Proper braking is a habit. Even in a panic. When you feel the wheels lock you back off slightly and stop them sliding. You brake much much shorter that way. Try it on a quiet road one night. You'll be shocked. Of course with abs you can just bury your foot. You really need to go on some sort of driving course mate. I did one when I was 18 and it has saved my arse more times than I can recall.
Fraser

It takes a very cool, calculated mind to be able to cadence brake when it looks like somebody's life is about to be smeared over your bonnet. Yeah, I've cadence brakes on the approach to a corner where I've screwed up, or in the ice, but under these circumstances it's only been me or the car that's been in direct danger.
I genuinely don't believe I could cadence brake in circumstances like the above, when it's "close onboard kiddie pass" material.
I ticked the ABS option when looking for a used Ka. He can cadence brake much better than I.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

If you practice it, it becomes instinctive. And I don't mean cadence braking myself, I mean steady braking where the weight transfer shifts you to and fro over the maximum grip point.
But you're right, ABS solves all these questions nicely, just stomp and let it do its stuff...

IMHO this is the only way, practice 'til it becomes subconcious.

As much as I hate to admit it, the ABS on my Mondeo saved me from mucho aggro with insurance and replacing the car, when my concentration wandered and the car in front did an emergency stop *blushes*..

No shit. They should be mandatory. A day in the skid pan should be part of the drivers licence requirements. You'd learn more about handling a car on the limit in that day than 3 years on the road.
Fraser

Exactly. It's all very well talking about driver training, making it instinct and all that, but it's all just pie in the sky newsgroup speculation which has no relevance to your average driver because they just haven't been trained to act that way.
It may well be the way they *should* react, but it's not going to be the way they *do* react.
--
Lordy.UK

I've done it under pressure. If you do it enough and practice now and again it becomes a habit. Habits are what you fall back on under pressure. ABS is good but crappy on gravel. I have a switch on my WRX so I can switch it off. Not that I ever do.
Fraser
SteveH wrote:

are they heck...

I think it's a good idea. I've never heard a bad thing said about the MX-5 barring hairdresser comments. And you got plenty of them with the MR2. And you can always turbo it or put a 13b rotary in it at a later date. ; )
Fraser
snipped-for-privacy@none.com says...

I suggested it mate. Old ones are cheap as chips, and while the 1.8 has more go, the 1.6 is supposed to be smoother. Mazda make good engines, that is why there versions of Ford cars generally look, run, sound better, but sell cheaper on the used market.
--
Carl Robson
Car PC Build starts again. http://smallr.com/rz