is this a nob thing to do?

IMHO this is the only way, practice 'til it becomes subconcious.

As much as I hate to admit it, the ABS on my Mondeo saved me from mucho aggro with insurance and replacing the car, when my concentration wandered and the car in front did an emergency stop *blushes*..

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Who knows, it can be a bit of a gray area and is something that is currently being looked into.

And presumably the ones in your pants :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

lol nahh I think I was clenched up tighter than the security at fort knox for about 2-3 seconds ;)

Reply to
REMUS

No excuse. Proper braking is a habit. Even in a panic. When you feel the wheels lock you back off slightly and stop them sliding. You brake much much shorter that way. Try it on a quiet road one night. You'll be shocked. Of course with abs you can just bury your foot. You really need to go on some sort of driving course mate. I did one when I was 18 and it has saved my arse more times than I can recall.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I've done it under pressure. If you do it enough and practice now and again it becomes a habit. Habits are what you fall back on under pressure. ABS is good but crappy on gravel. I have a switch on my WRX so I can switch it off. Not that I ever do.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

No shit. They should be mandatory. A day in the skid pan should be part of the drivers licence requirements. You'd learn more about handling a car on the limit in that day than 3 years on the road.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Exactly. It's all very well talking about driver training, making it instinct and all that, but it's all just pie in the sky newsgroup speculation which has no relevance to your average driver because they just haven't been trained to act that way.

It may well be the way they *should* react, but it's not going to be the way they *do* react.

Reply to
Lordy.UK