Is this overpriced for a trade car?

I used to commute 200 miles a day in an AX Diesel - I'm 6'3" and have a penchant for pies.

*****

The AX footwell always seemed a little spacious to me compared with the Saxo. Perhaps it's crash protection; the AX was wider inside.

Bet it's the side impact funkiness.

Reply to
DervMan

"DervMan" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Seriously.

Reply to
Adrian

Ugh, that sounds even more horrid than the non-turbo BX I had years ago. Saying that it would do a ton and stay there all day if you got a long enough road to wind the speed up on.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Dervy - what's the Ka like for mpg so long as it's not caned? My missus tested one yesterday and fell in love with it.

I'm going to buy an older MX-5 that I can play with and mod, and a Ka for the missus as she likes them. Should have them both by the middle of next week.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

"Mike P" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Non-turbo BX diesels could be had with either the 1.7 or 1.9 - and weighed about 60% of an XM...

Still, at least we never saw the 1.1 BX that the Italian market got...

Reply to
Adrian

The tax break specials I suppose. The last time we were in Italy, every other Italian young male had a 14x 1.4 Twin Spark. A pity that engine never made it over here, because whilst small, they sounded great and have bags more character than other similar small stuff.

Reply to
DervMan

Heh, I couldn't find any RWD auto convertible Kas.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Mine was a C reg 1.7 non-turbo.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

At the risk of sounding all nerdy and stuff, it depends on the precise model, but here's a good place to start:

:-) The first 39,000 miles were mixed driving, in and around York plus the odd long haul trip. The next 20,000 miles were mostly over a 60-a day commute. The final 20,000 were over a motorway biased commute with cruise control and

185/60s on lightweight 13s.

That's the PAS Endura-E, the least economical of the 1.3s. Non-PAS Endura-Es (if there are any left) are noticeably better. Later models with air conditioning are marginally better than ours. Without, 3 to 4 mpg better, like for like - but hot in the summer.

We'd see 30 mpg in the winter if used for short runs, but only once dropped below. I could top 50 being gentle on my commute.

Good order on both, really. When I was researching the Ka back in 2000 /

2001, yeah I could have bought something more economical, but economy wasn't the top priority (otherwise I'd have bought a Lupo SDI). Kermy was cheap to fix on the rare occasions when something broke, cheap to insure with all modifications, great fun plus Charlie liked driving it too.

Would I have another? Yes absolutely. Why not? Because I'd immediately start to modify it. The most successful modifications I made were 185/60s on Ford 13 5.5Js (not on the styling I admit), the suspension and the brace, and the Morettes. I just know that the modifications won't end. I never did get around to...

Mind you that could help things get back on topic, although I daresay some newsgroup readers would think they'd be having a field day. ;-)

Dang; I still miss him and it'll have been three years this November.

Reply to
DervMan

You could make one..? That brings us nicely back on topic...

Reply to
DervMan

I know somebody who had one. It had a little snail badge stuck on the back.

Reply to
Clive George

Cheers for the info Dervy, much appreciated.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Urgh... we got the 1.3 Montego and Sierra instead.

I deliberately missed out the Mk2 Cavalier 1.3, as these performed reasonably well for something on paper that looked a bit underpowered.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

It was actually pretty comfy, and being the 1.5 it wasn't too slow either.

I remember it being worse in terms of the pedals than the 106s I've had, anyway.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Yes. It's overpriced for trade, but not mentally so for private - weirdly.

Nice spec, other than being diesel.

Reply to
Pete M

even a late W124 is pretty indestructable, I know them well. cheap insurance too. up to 1995 is pretty safe, after that you're in the realms of tatty rusty T and V reg cars....

Reply to
john

A friend of mine recently traded in her old Endura-E engined Ka for a newer Duratec one. She says it's loads faster and doesn't use as much fuel. Obviously, her version of loads faster, may not match ours :-)

Of course, the new engine wasn't her reason for changing, she's just earning more now, and wanted a new one, so she bought a pretty new (think 56 plate or something), shiny black Luxury Ka. I think it's Luxury, the model, it has leather, aircon, quite nice alloys, leccy windows and stuff, and had done something like 5k miles. She's over the moon with it.

Reply to
DanB

It was actually pretty comfy, and being the 1.5 it wasn't too slow either.

I remember it being worse in terms of the pedals than the 106s I've had, anyway.

I'm a size 10 shoe, and always wear fat skate shoes and the like, and I can drive a Saxo/106 without a problem. The first few times I drove one it was an issue, but then you just seem to be able to learn to do it. I did anyway, you lot might not be as awesome as me though.

Reply to
DanB

You don't have a mortgage do you?

Reply to
Elder

I just want something that I fit and can afford to fuel. What I need is, something as small on the outside as the Favorit for parking. With the visibility all round of the Rangie With the space on the inside of the Celsior With the boot space of the 900 With the performance of the 9000 With the handling of the GT4 With the reliability and fuel economy of the Octavia and finally with the purchase price of the Estelle.

Any suggestions? No need to carry the weight of the servers any more, we have the Cherokee at work.

Reply to
Elder