Is this overpriced for a trade car?

Sorry, this has just jogged my memory - my B5 did exactly this. Once I'd figured that it wasn't an actual problem, I just ignored it, and did have any other related problems, so I don't think it's the body computer. Also the B5.5 sport that my dad had *started* to do this sporadically in the month or so before he sold it.

I asked the chap I sold the B5 to, and a year down the line the temp gauge is still operating intermittently, with no other problems having manifested, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I think it may be a genuine TADTS

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Temp gauge went funny, dash lights switched on and off sporadically when driving and the windows winding down when parked, in the middle of the night were all (now dispatched) symptoms of wet carpets from leaky rear inner door panels on our B5.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Aye, well... all the time it has warranty on it, it can go back and be fixed FOC.

Not had this with any of the other VAG TDIs I've had, and let's be honest, there have been a few. :-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Aye, well... all the time it has warranty on it, it can go back and be fixed FOC.

Not had this with any of the other VAG TDIs I've had, and let's be honest, there have been a few. :-)

Obviously, make it known that if it ever does it after the warranty runs out, that it will be treated as the same fault and fixed for free. Dealers do enjoy trying that on. Also, that any parts fitted at subject to a years warranty from when they are fitted - their warranty doesn't end with the cars just because they were fitted under warranty. Heard an awesomely long winded rant about an Alfa dealer pulling that one on someone once heh.

Reply to
DanB

Well... probably won't own it by then, so will cross that bridge when I come to it.

If the temperature sender unit replacement doesn't sort it, I'm going to insist they lift the carpets and clean all the contacts on the multiplug going into the body computer.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Indeed - but it does depend on the machine.

I have a love / hate relationship with the Saab 1.9 TiD. Both the 120 and

150 are great engines for their output and love being worked hard...

...but earlier ones are troublesome. Still.

Hmm. There's the additional complication of the LPG aspect too.

So too can petrol engines though.

Mostly I agree. Driving my 9-3 TiD back to back with the 1.8t, the 1.8t never really seems to get going whereas with the TiD, the pick up is stronger. The 1.8t has quicker acceleration times but doesn't feel quicker on the road.

Part of this is the difference in noise, part of this is the way the 1.8t is deliberately meant to feel weany, to encourage people to buy the 2.0t / 2.0 / 2.8T...

Hmm. Fancy meeting up for a low pressure turbo show down at some point? :-)

Reply to
DervMan