MK3 Golf VR6: What does everyone reckon?

Mainly A road and motorway, SWMBO'd says small car. I like MK3 golf, she likes the MK3 golf, she wants small engine but doesn't know the difference, maybe able to stretch to a debadged VR6.

I know it won't handle the twisties and will probably go straight on at first roundabout, but what about as an A road bruiser/motorway cruiser?

Worth having? Doesn a MK4 interior bolt in OK?

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, NeedforSwede2 wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

Good motorway car, early ones, i.e J and K plate, are to be avoided though as the build quality is crap.

Gear change can be a bit vague due to stretched / badly adjusted cables

With a set of decent shocks and springs on they're actually not that bad, not brilliant, but not bad. Crap on fuel though - between 18 and 23 is about average in town use, but that's taking it easy.

I'd have one, but I'm hardly Mr Go-Fast nowadays, they sound brilliant with a nice pipe though.

Reply to
Pete M

That's a very nice engine i've heard before haven't i?

I won't handle that badly with a mild drop and stiffening ;-) Also, Chet's brother has one on 20s....

I beleive i've heard that before, also, Mk4 headlight look quite nice on them :)

Reply to
DanTXD

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, DanTXD wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

Mk4 Cabrio front wings, bumpers, lights etc will all fit (cos the Mk4 Cab is a Mk3 in drag)

Reply to
Pete M

I would have one in a minute - but I'm no judge of anything.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

LOL!

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It's a big con VW are trying to pull the wool over peoples heads, where's the V in the VR6? there's a bigger V between my fingers!!

Reply to
ThePunisher

Will be doing very little town, but no worse than the old Celica then.=20

Likewise. Just want something small but grunty and cheapish, but=20 moderatley comfortable to keep the missus happy. Would love a Rallye but=20 can't justify =A37k for an old car (or any car forthat matter) ATM.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

D'oh :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Cheers.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

It's a 15deg V. The R stands for Reihenmotor which with V, means inline V in German.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Nope. I really couldn't justify it. I would love to do it, but couldn't. I don't think he would even have the desire.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I'd have bought one, but the fuel economy is shocking.

Reply to
SteveH

You lot are turning into Dervy ;-)

Reply to
DanTXD

hmmm - golf VR6 cheapest on autotrader is 1600 quid on a K plate (there's a couple cheaper but ones an auto and the other needs a head...). About 3 grand before you get to low milers and looked after ones. 4 grand would get you into a Mk 4 GTI turbo... no need to bolt any mk4 parts on and in my mind the better engine - not as much power as standard but easily rectified!

.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

But he's just upsized his car - bigger car with a bigger engine, and it's not diesel!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Not really. It's the pactical consideration of doing 50-odd miles / day in a car that struggles to do 20mpg.... if I knew I was going to be working within a few miles of the house for the next few years, I wouldn't care about economy. As it is, I aim for 30mpg when driving relatively hard, as that's the 'break even' point for me on my expenses.

Reply to
SteveH

This is something I'll be pointing out next time he has a dig at me for having bought non-Wop in the past.

He's only had one diesel car..... but calls himself 'derv'. Wierdo :-P

Reply to
SteveH