LPG Cars

What are good ones? Thinking of spending about 1500 quid on a car that is:

- Good on the motorway

- High economy

- Not too expensive to insure (I'm 23)

- Not too boring - something slightly unusual

- Reliable

Should I get something that's already been converted or should I pay the extra and have it done once I've got it? Who are good people to use to convert it? If I buy one that's already converted do I need to make sure I get a certificate or something off them for insurance purposes? Does it affect insurance a lot?

Cheers.

Reply to
Tom Robinson

Try posting in uk.rec.cars.lpg (or whatever it is..) ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

In that price bracket you will be much better off getting one which has been converted - a decent conversion would cost £1000+, which doesn't leave much for getting a decent car.

Not exactly unusual, but something in the mode of a 1.8 mondeo might suit sir - decent drive, pretty economical even without the LPG and well suited to motorway mile munching.

That said, I quite like the look of:

or more sensibly:

Albert T Cone

Good finds!! I'm spending so much on fuel these days and that blue merc is right near where I live...

You bastard!

Reply to
fishman

*bows* :-)
Reply to
Albert T Cone

190E2.6 is a great car too - quick, nimble, fairly bomb proof... A
Reply to
Alistair J Murray

Volvo 360 GLT - and there's a guy on the Volvo 300 Mania forum who knows all about converting the car to LPG. It'll cost £450 for the LPG kit (for a non cat car) and then £250 extra if you want it fitted, and another £80 if you want the tank fitted in the spare wheel well. Plus £250 for the car and you've got what you want for around £1k. It shouldnt affect insurance much, if at all!

I'm sure there's plenty of other cars too, but that's the one I know about :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

When I was going thru my wanting a Merc 190 Cosworth stage a few months ago I came to the conclusion it would be better to get a 2.6 instead. 170bhp (i think) and cheap as chips, unlike the much higher values the cossies are selling for. I'm currently waiting on a bit of info on them from the sub editor of Merc Enthusiast magazine who just happens to be a very good mate of mine :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs
[...]

Nearly all the go with much less maintenance and a nice autobox.

People who've had them find replacing them difficult.

Don't tell him where to find yours. ;)

Alistair J Murray

Ah, awesome, thanks for the heads up. Must be a new group. :P

Reply to
Tom Robinson

Righto.

Yep, very nice. Doubt I could afford the insurance. :)

Hmm ... not bad! Seems they're not as expensive pre-converted as I thought. I'm hoping that if I sell it on it shouldn't be too hard to shift as LPG is obviously good for the wallet, and I think they're congestion charge exempt too aren't they? Handy for selling round here (SW15) anyway.

Reply to
Tom Robinson

Not unless the conversion is on the Powershift register. If it's a Ford supplied dual fuel car then it should be on the register. If it's been converted then the exact conversion has to be on the register and it has to have been done at a powershift approved installer for that conversion.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Right, have to watch out for that one. Cheers. You have to fill in a form to get it registered as CC exempt as well.

Reply to
Tom Robinson

you get a lil certificate which gives old ken the 2 fingers when he tries to charge ya. had a few LPG astra vans for sale at work :)

Reply to
Vamp