Medium Saloon Tyres

Not really what I had in mind! :P

Reply to
DervMan

Are the Michelin Pilot Primacys really _that_ good? One of the reasons why I'm not bothered if I go for 195/65s rather than 195/60s is that there's a

3% difference in diameter but 60-profiles are usually quite a bit dearer...
Reply to
DervMan

I had a decent experience with F700 "Fuel Savers" on our Ka. Not exactly the same vehicle, though...

Reply to
DervMan

Do you mean the SportContacts?

Reply to
DervMan

A tenner a corner more than Goodyear NCT5s when I ordered a set for Katie and myself last week.

Reply to
SteveH

I needed some 195/65 x15s for Ye Olde Audi a while back.

When prompted by the sales dude as to what type of tyre I wanted, I answered "black ones".

Seriously, what real difference does it make to a cooking family runabout ? Get new tyres, but don't get your knickers in a twist about it.

The Locost - when finished - will be wearing some of Yokohama's finest, but it matters with that...

(As an asides, the harder I drive the Audi, the better it gets. It has now decided to stop having a flat spot under full load. It was obviously bored with me ignoring it and decided to drive better to get my attention. Which was nice.)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Depends on how you drive it.

I've had cheap tyres in the past, and very nearly come to regret it on damp / oily rounabouts.

Reply to
SteveH

I have that experience almost every day - it stops being traumatic after a while....

Seriously, I hammer the living daylights out of the old beast all of the time, and the tyres are never 'that' much of an issue. That's with 17 tonnes of German pig Iron hanging over the front axle as well.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

When I bought the Passat it had a really nasty combination of tyres on it - cheap budgets on the back and a mis-matched pair of premium tyres on the front. It handled like bambi on ice until I changed to a matched set of Goodyears.

As well as that, my 155 came with budgets all round, displaying the same characteristics. In fact, budgets were so bad on Katie's 33 IE, that she decided they had to go and be replaced by Pirellis within a month of buying it.

Reply to
SteveH

The Accord is the same in the wet; I get power on wriggles as the wheels let go under modest load...

Reply to
DervMan

I had them on the front of the 206 to start with - they're pretty s**te. Although they might have been eco sport contacts or summet.

Reply to
DanTXD

In message , DervMan writes

They are better than the P6000's that I had on before. I also hope that they will last longer (justifying the higher price) but since putting them on, the Focus has passed onto the missus and she does a quarter of the mileage that I do so they will probably perish before they wear out :)

When I bought my current Mondeo, the previous owner had fitted 205/55/16 rather than the correct but vastly dearer 205/50/16 rubber. I would have been happy to keep to the cheaper size but the fronts were rubbing on the front bumper support on full lock. That is a MOT failure for starters so the correct size rubber had to go on.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , DervMan writes

Yes, similarly they specify Z-rated tyres for my Civic which has a vmax of 146. Possibly more for sidewall stiffness than anything else.

Reply to
Steve Walker

From my second hand experience with them (I use T1R's) they seem fine. I have heard no complaints!

Contact me through:

:)

Ed

Reply to
Ed

That's too sensible for in here, you want to fit an NSX engine in the back while you are at it.

Reply to
Depresion

Ya there are loads of different Continentals with "contact" in the name, heh.

Reply to
DervMan

Heh! Just the one?

Reply to
DervMan

Aye. My concern is that the people who use these kind of tyres are less concerned with longevity and more concerned with how well it grips!

Gotcha.

Reply to
DervMan

Yes. That's something to be careful of...

Reply to
DervMan

What reg/type?

I've got a Mk3 on 16" alloys (standard fit), and that had 205/55/16 OEM ones on, so I've just kept on fitting them.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith