Mk2 golf Gti's

Thoughts please guys as the wifes wanting me to take one in p/x for the cavvy for her

Reply to
Rob

They're the last of the fun ones before they became lardy overweight slow piles of crap.

Reply to
Conor

You need to update your opinion a little and try the current generation machine.

Reply to
DervMan

there the last of the good ones before they got the nice R32 engine but stupid price tag! although the R32 understeers a bit to much for my liking

Reply to
Vamp

Have you driven one? I have shortlisted the R32 as my next car. Along with about 20 other things. ; )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

To be fair, even though the MkIV and V are 'OK' as a GTI, when you drive a MkII you realise the later ones are overweight, bloated barges. I've parked the Panzer up recently and gone back to the 75 as my daily driver just because it's more fun.

Reply to
SteveH

Hmm. I would sorely like to drive all five back to back and urinate on the mark three and mark four. :)

The mark five manages to feel almost* as agile as the mark two but be materially quicker, quieter, smoother. It's a better car whilst managing to be almost as good a GTI for "old school" thoughts.

I could understand the mark three VR6, mark four V5 models - autobahns - but they always disappointed me. I frequently happen across a mark three VR6 on one of my commutes along a twisty little section of tarmac. It doesn't matter that he zips away on the straight... :)

Reply to
DervMan

Yes. Take it. And may it be the first in a line of decent cars to make up for all the old s**te you've had!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I've got in my posession an Autocar special that does exactly that (excepting the Mk5 though).

Could you please spell "old skool" correctly? Ta :-)

It does to him :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

If he was a half decent driver, he's romp away in the twisties, too.

Reply to
SteveH

Didn't you know that the Ka is the very best handling car in the world ever ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

(typo corrected - ooops!)

Lol.

They're so good, I bought a Cinq. Sporting instead.....

Reply to
SteveH

none-special

/AOL/

That was exactly my thoughts too.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I guess that pretty much defines the word 'irony'.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Opinion still counts. It's ~ a 240BHP engine and is quite slow considering.

Golf R32:

240BHP 0-60 - 5.9 seconds.

Mk1 GTI

112BHP 0-60 7.3 seconds.

So...nearly double the engine capacity and an additional 120BHP and all they can manage is to shave 1.4 seconds off the 0-60.

Found this:

The Golf GTi has been piling on the pounds over the last few decades. The Mk4 Golf is a whopping 48 percent heavier than the original Mk1. All this means that the later cars need much more power just to stay in the same league as the originals.

8 Turbo can't match even the earliest humble 1.6 GTi in terms ofpower to weight ratio. To have the same power to weight ratio as that early car, the modern Mk4 would need 162 bhp, to catch the Mk2 16v, a whopping 180bhp!
Reply to
Conor

7.3 seconds ? For a mass produced hatchback in the 1970's ? Don't make me piss.

Try just under nine seconds for the original model.

The Mk2 8V was around 8.5, the Mk2 16V - which is the one that is being referred to on the webpage you pulled that statistic from - was supposedly 7.3, altho god knows how they managed it because in real life they're nowhere near that quick.

No, they shaved off 3 seconds, despite it being crammed full of equipment and safety gubbins.

Newer cars are heavier and need more power ??? Omg, how did they manage to keep this a secret ? :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Which proves nothing, power and acceleration aren't proportional. And you aren't taking weight into account. A Lamborghini Murcielago has 340bhp more than a R32 yet it only takes 2 seconds off the R32's 0-60 time, does that also make it quite slow considering it has a 0-60 time only 2 seconds quicker than a car with less than half it's power?

Reply to
Homer

Hardly chavved though is it?

tis indeed a big bumper model sitting on 17" hockenheims with a nice "quiet" stainless throughout wifey wants it lowered somewhat so some coilovers will be sought shortly so it can be set just right.

then the e-tec spoiler neons 12000 watt stereo graphics and door stacks can be kept for the van :) :)

Reply to
Rob

Yes, it does.

Reply to
ThePunisher

Eh ? Weight was *exactly* what he was taking into account...

Nope, it's just fuel to the fire that zero to sixty times are completely irrelevant when you get past a certain level of performance :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK