MMMMMM sod the 1000hp skyline :)

Oh christ, I was about to have a go at Remus for turning stupidity into an art form!

Current regs are for 3l V10 engines, 3.5s went out in the mid 90s, can't remember exaclty what year off the top of my head, but I'm sure I could get it right within one post if I could be arsed to look it up properly.

Current regs are supposed to stay in place till the end of the current Concorde agreement, but Max is determined to f*ck up F1 in the name of his personal arrogance, and for some reason it's claimed chopping 2 cylinders off the engines will make them that much cheaper. All it will really do is cause the teams to have to come up with entirely new engines and spend even more money trying to get them back up to the power levels found currently.

What the f*ck an engine that idles fastr than a lot of road cars red line at has to do with anything around here I don't know, I'm just bored and in the mood for talking bollocks tonight :)

Reply to
Stuffed

Bleh??!? how was I being stupid...?

Reply to
REMUS

By managing to try and look up such widely available info as past and present F1 specs, and completely f*ck it up every time!

Oh, and for having some sort of teenage wet dreamathon over crappy BMWs whenever you get the chance, but that's more a matter of taste. Hopefully one day you'll have some... ;)

Reply to
Stuffed

Well I didn't look up the f1 bmw engine, and the information regarding the Renault engine was relevant, and since it applied to the 05 season I didn't think that many people would know about it, the bmw f1 engine came up a long time ago in another thread which peter hill kindly filled me in on again. And it doesn't matter how old or new information is because we are talking about 1000 bhp capable engines in general, does the title say ANYTHING about f1 engines present or past, NO? And you know why I brought up f1 engines? You would if you used your head and actually read the thread, the reason in case you haven't quite grasped it yet is because they all operate at around

1000 bhp and it was in response to this statement:

And no I don't particularly follow F1 that's why I went to try and support my comment with a fact or two.

"You will never get a reliable 1000hp from a sub 3 litre car. The only way to get that much power is boost and lots of it and there is a few (very few) cars that have that much horsepower in Japan, they are grenades. Even with an Os Giken 3 litre block and a couple of Trust turbos you aren't going to be getting much time between rebuilds.

Fraser"

Now if you wouldn't mind getting some manners and maybe apologising for being such a dick (which I have no doubt you won't), and if you do mind, can you kindly, f*ck off and die :) And for your information I really like German cars in general not just bmw's.

And i'm the teenager... your the one that needs to do some growing up you arrogant bastard. Just because there are no physical repercussions (like for instance me punching you in the head really, really hard), doesn't automatically give you license to be a c*ck.

Reply to
REMUS

Er, the engines only last for one single race - a lifetime of a few hundred miles !

If that's not "EXTREMELY unreliable" then I don't know what is !!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Nom

Er, no - they don't.

Exactly !

Totally Rebuilt = New Engine !

You're saying you think a 1000bhp Skyline would be reliable, if it had to have a complete engine rebuild every 500 miles ?!?!?!

Reply to
Nom

Reply to
dojj

YES they do!!

No they don't. Top fuel 6000bhp engines - heads off, pistons and rods out, new rods and tested crack free pistons in, heads back on. They use light aluminum con rods, which deform during the run so they are scrap, the pistons are taken back to the workshop crack tested and reused next meeting if they pass. Block, heads, valves, cams, crank all do several runs (a full weekend) before being stripped for inspection. Other classes runing 7L motors giving around 1400bhp without boost, N20 or nitro will last a whole season before the winter strip and rebuild.

Your idea of a rebuild being a new engine is a bit mistaken. A rebuild will be done the same way aero engines are rebuilt after

500hrs (for piston engines - jets are lifed by flight cycles). All parts are stripped, cleaned and inspected. The block with bearing caps, head, crank, cams, rods and pistons are given a closer inspection for damage. This will involve magnaflux, ultrasound and UV dye to check for microscopic cracks. Valves and guides are checked for wear and only replaced if needed. Most other parts like cam covers and sump are usually ok. All parts that are found to be free of cracks will go into a rebuilt engine. Oil pump, bolts (head, bigend, mains), bearings and seals are replaced but are quite cheap compared to the cost of the engine. It's hardly a new engine.

Ilmore gave a FREE rebuild on their engines for the USA CART series if the engine was returned running. You can't afford to do that unless you can reuse a lot of the parts.

Well it would be fine for several 1000's of miles of road use. Just the few seconds on a drag strip and the idiot at the dyno that keeps it at max for longer than a few seconds that mean it would need stripping for inspection more frequently.

Peter Hill

What Peter said basically, and don't jumble up facts and statements and stick them back in some funny order.

Reply to
REMUS

I've got a clarkson no limits DVD and the last car on it is the Jun super lemon skyline (R33-well it looks like one), it has 1000hp allegedly and i'm sure he says in the vid that the guy who owns it hasn't had to spend anything over and above normal wear and tear for two years.

Reply to
Johnny

Supra's happily run at 600-800 bhp, does that bhp figure include direct port nitrous, im sure that 1000 bhp includes a 200 shot of laughing gas? I've got an old Max Power with it in but I cba to find it becuase im too tired.

Reply to
REMUS

How many times do you need to be told before it sinks in that the phrase is "would have", not "would of"?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Er, you say it yourself below !!!!

If they need to be fully stripped, checked, and then rebuilt after each race, then effectively they only last for one race !

Whether it passes the rebuild without using any replacement parts or not, isn't relevent - the fact remains that it DOES need to be *fully* checked after each race, hence it only lasts one race.

There you go again !

So they DO have to be rebuilt after each race !!!!

No it's not.

Whether it needs new parts or not, isn't really relevent. When you or I pay someone to rebuild our engines, then the labour costs FAR exceed that costs of any parts required.

It's the WORK that is the issue, not the bits required ! Still needs the same amount of work whether it's got new bits or not !

So it's still unreliable then.

Reply to
Nom

...was that a full and complete strip down of an engine, the full and complete checking of all parts, the replacement of anything necessary, and the full and complete reassembly, was effectively a trivial job and doesn't count against the engine's reliability.

Clearly that is nonsense.

The costs would be astronomical if you had to pay someone to do that to your car every five thousand miles, even if it never needed any parts replacing !

So you're saying a 1000bhp Skyline is reliable, even if it would only last ten thousand miles without the above work, before requiring a completely new engine ?!?!?!?!

I didn't and I didn't.

Reply to
Nom

Do you think the people that make 1000 bhp cars mind the costs? I'm sure if you can afford a ferrari then you can afford a 1000 bhp ferrari and service it ever 5-10k miles.

Reliable in the fact that it doenst break down if serviced, yes... if you take all factors into consideration/

Yeah sorry I was reading another post

Reply to
REMUS

What does that have to do with anything ?

Whether you mind the costs or not, and whether you can afford the costs or not, said costs still exist !

If an engine requires a few thousand pounds of maintenance every few miles to keep it running, then it's unreliable. Period.

"Serviced" ?

Er, a full rebuild every few thousand miles, hardly counts as a "service" :)

Reply to
Nom