Modifications you have made?

139 bhp is about 24% more than the 8v as standard but it isn't really that effective at 6300rpm plus the 8v makes 109 ft/lbs at 3500rpm. 10mph top speed isn't *that* much more. I'm not saying the 8v is a superior engine, quite the opposite, it's just the 16v isn't vastly superior until heavily tuned.

Cant get much cheaper/easier to turbo an engine than this:

REMUS

No, you've not missed the point - this is not a unique situation either. It is primarily about modifying cars but sometimes it seems like a ranting group about diesels or bicycles.

TR7v8 with a big engine that it didn't have when it came out of the factory and soon will get one what I have built lovingly in the shed out back, as soon as I can get a pal or two to help with the heavy lifting.

Greatly modified in the first place, Crapri brakes, modified breather, Holley four barrel carb to replace the Rover twin Stroms or whatever it was running before. Tubular manifolds, twin box double pipe so it wakes neighbours* and frightens kids. Harsh and stiff suspension all round.

All focused on performance, I can't be bothered to make a sheep in wolf's clothing, and that's a theme in this group but to be honest, that's up to everyone else, I don't mind the Max Power lot painting their disc brakes orange or whatnot.

(* to be fair, it is very rarely out after bedtime so they shouldn't need waking up.)

Reply to
Questions

Ha ha ha ha!

Although this clearly isn't Brian.

Reply to
Questions

yes

yes

Reply to
dojj

forget that, have you seen the sig pic?!?!?!!? LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
dojj

Hello

But whats the point in modifying your car when you can get all the stuff you want as standard and have a better car overall? You could then potentially spend your modifying money on modifying the better car IYSWIM

Currently I personally have a 1987 Sierra 2.8i XR4x4 and a 1991 Citroen ZX

1.9i. The ZX is my runabout and is completely standard, although it really needs a CD player at some point. The XR was my fun car which is now up for sale. The only modifications are a sump guard, a fuel pump guard, an electric fan and a radiator from a DOHC sierra. Once that is sold I'm thinking about going back to Pugs and getting a 205 of some form to use for road rallying after trying many cars its just about the best car for the job in standard form. If/when I do get it, depending on what I pay, it may remain standard for the time being but eventually I'll probably uprate the brakes (if its not a GTi), uprate the suspension and fit GTi wheels (if its not a GTi) to start with, and see how it goes form there.

Also in the house, and I kind of own are a 1987 mk1 MR2 and a 1995 mk1 MX5, both completely standard and in very good nick. The MR2 is in a garage getting fixed and the MX5 is up for sale.

BMWs arent that expensive to run when places like ECP and GSF supply such cheap parts!

See above, but my priorities are like this: Price Performance Engine Exterior Interior

So stuff like bodykits are out because they're too expensive and the exterior is way down on the list.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I am going to be out in the middle of nowhere quite a lot, and spending a lot of time in the car parked up. I am going to be driving in to the country with a telescope for astronomy.

I can also listen to the news from tv while in traffic jams etc.

I can add a bigger battery to the car and keep it topped up from mains if necessary or with a small solar panel.

John

Reply to
John

Years ago when I first posted here, I asked if anyone thought it would be possible to put a 205 GTi engine into a Peugeot 305. The answer I got was along the lines of 'why bother? just buy a 205 GTi if you want 205 GTi performance'.

I did the modification anyway (I didn't *exactly* swap an engine, but I don't want to go on about it) and was more than happy with the results.

I posted here to get some help about the mod, no one gave me any, I did it anyway. I guess the moral of the story is - a) if you want to do something, then do it, even if a bunch of people on the internet you've never even met and know very little about their background tell you not to, and b) Don't expect usenet to be an endless fountain of knowledge.

Maybe you asked the wrong question.

BTW, I'm looking into fitting my car with an LCD touchscreen and computer pretty soon. I'm getting all the bits together at present.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

agreed! MR2 MK2 with 18's and supra brake conversion = bling!

MR2 MK2 with 18's and standard brakes = just rubbish!

Reply to
Vamp

Yea it looks better with the bigger anchors and no doubt, but they can still look fine without :) As long as rear drums are not in attendance.

Reply to
DanTXD

Some people do some modding as mentioned just don't go on about it as people here have far to many own opinions :)

my car isn't modded but that's mainly because a) i spent to much on the car to start with! b) it's my daily driver c) i'm waiting to get bored with standard and now d) looks like i'm getting a driving ban so that kinda slows things down.

only mod's i've done is fit a 320mm momo wheel, change the radio and put it a nicer TRD gear knob :)

what i'd like to do in future if i still have the car is, sort the suspension using TRD anti roll bars and struts. maybe cusco strut braces front and back. then whack on some coil overs or koni shocks and eibach springs and bring it down a tad. would like to get the second set of original alloys i got a while back polished up maybe to a diamond cut finish (looks tighter than superman's underpants when lowered too!) then maybe up the boost and add a few gauges but i wanna do this via a blitz boost controller or an Apexi AVCR for some dash bling!

just to poor for the above and will be poorer with a fine and higher insurance soon! :(

Reply to
Vamp

Drums!!!! MR2's are proper cars with discs all round :)

Reply to
Vamp

1994 Subaru WRX Hatch Unichip computer Hiflow turbo STI intercooler 4.7kg flywheel and heavy duty clutch STI gearbox with 4.4 diff ratios (later this week) Whiteline suspension DBA slotted disks High pressure fuel pump 16" Wheels with semi slicks for summer

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Depending on how much ICE you install, you might want to add another battery to the boot as well, also an uprated alternator would help.

Reply to
REMUS

240mm discs and 18s - ewwwwww!
Reply to
DervMan

hehe, well it depends on the alloy really... the design my cover vamps shame ;)

i'm currently going for 280mm behind 15's

Reply to
REMUS

Painted bright red...

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Fridges generate heat. If you're gonna do something crazy like install it in the dash(!) or somewhere enclosed then make sure you sort out some ducting to get rid of the heat. Otherwise it'll just overheat and shut down (not cooling your cans), or worse!

Reply to

I have 266mm behind 15's as standard :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Modding a car to be a mobile observatory would be *very* cool - computer controlled telescope mount, self levelling suspension, rocketship tail-lights, etc...

A pick-up with truckman top might be a good starting point - VW Caddy is Golf based so lots of tuning bitties available.

Hmmmm...

You could try radio, it's like TV with better pictures. :)

A second battery and uprated charging system are very wise if you have lots of electrickery.

Alistair J Murray