Monster Garage

Anyone see this tonight? What a load of shit the race was. How did it only manage a 17+ second quarter with a 270bhp V8 and another

150bhp of nitrous. What I think happened is, unchecked V8 from old wreck was knackered, with the drag racing engine expert there they didn't even bother to take the heads off and check it. As for the nitrous, did anyone even see anything being connected to the engine, never mind setting it up with the correct jets. I don't think it was even connected to the engine. With the above taken into account it stood absolutely no chance in beating the custom built dragster which mysteriously threw a conrod between getting there and getting to the start line. You would have thought they would have shown the damage but all we saw was dirty oil dripping onto an old rag, would a custom built drag V8 be full of dirty oil? The replacement opponent vehicle was a VW Camper van with tuned 1800 engine, meant to be quicker than a Golf GTI but still only managed a 18+ second quarter, not quite in the same league as the original opponent. If they wanted a challenge why didn't they just race against Dialynx's short Quattro Turbo which was in the background when they were at the track, of course like the other dragster it wouldn't have been much of a race. It would have been better just to give them a chance to get everything sorted right and it may have been a better race, as it was it only just made it to the finish line before a water hose burst.
Reply to
Homer

They hadn't rigged up a radiator at all as far as I know, so the hoses were just going round in a loop. Seemed to me they had a budget of approx 2 bob. I know nowt about drag racing, but a milk float that couldn't have weighed much more than half a tonne with 400 horses should have flown, not just beaten a 200brake or so type 2 camper...

Reply to
Doki

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

I keep hearing about it, and then plan to watch it and keep missing it.

Damn.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Doki raved thus:

:: budget of approx 2 bob. I know nowt about drag racing, but a milk :: float that couldn't have weighed much more than half a tonne with :: 400 horses should have flown

I couldn't help wondering about that Lexan screen. I mean, if you were driving it and wearing a full face helmet, would you have even bothered fitting a verticle screen? Surely leaving it open would have helped the aero.

Ah, there is the answer to the OP; it ran so slowly because the windscreen ruined the aero :)

Reply to

I wonder what it was actually making and actually weighed? The calculators I've found reckon it should have been doing around 11 seconds with 400 horses if it weighed a tonne.

Reply to
Doki