More auto sector woes: CKC

Collins & Aikman [CKC] has filed for bankruptcy protection.

I don't think I'd go anywhere near a non-Japanese auto sector corp.

CHICAGO, May 17 (Reuters) - Auto parts maker Collins & Aikman Corp. and most of its U.S. units filed for bankruptcy protection on Tuesday as it confronts a mounting cash crunch caused partly by production cuts at auto makers.

Collins & Aikman, which supplies cockpits and other parts for interiors to the Big Three U.S automakers -- General Motors , Ford and DaimlerChrysler -- said it has obtained commitments for up to $300 million in debtor-in-possession financing to continue operations without interruption.

The company, based in Troy, Michigan, said no affiliates outside the United States were included in the filing, which was widely expected.

Unlike competitors such as Delphi , Collins & Aikman produces basic parts that do not command premium prices. In addition to production cuts by Ford and GM, rising materials costs and high debt assumed for acquisitions have contributed to Collins & Aikman's problems.

Tuesday's filing in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan marked the third major bankruptcy in the auto parts sector in recent months. It followed filings from Tower Automotive Inc. and closely held Meridian Automotive Systems Inc. Other parts makers sought court protection last year.

"You can expect months of messy bankruptcy proceedings and it is uncertain whether (Collins & Aikman) will be able to reorganize itself or have to liquidate," Morningstar analyst John Novak said.

The company said it believed it could successfully restructure.

"What the company will look like at the end of the road, it is just too early to say; no creditor's committee has been formed, we are just hours into the process," Sandra Sternberg, a company spokeswoman, told Reuters.

Collins & Aikman plans to restructure its debt, but has not released a timetable for completing its reorganization. It has no immediate plans for job cuts, company spokesman David Youngman said.

The company has about 23,000 employees worldwide, with about 12,000 in the United States.

Standard & Poor's analyst Martin King said that reduced light vehicle production, increasing costs for materials such as petroleum-based resins and the discontinuation of customers' accelerated payment programs intensified stress the company experienced from poor cash flow in recent years.

BASIC PARTS A CHALLENGE

Morningstar's Novak said he would not expect to see much of an impact on automakers in the near term, distinguishing between suppliers that produce more highly valued parts and those that make parts that can be obtained more cheaply.

"It is certainly indicative of the problems for suppliers that make basic commodity parts and have heavy Big Three exposure," he said. "The whole sector may experience pressure, but for the strong firms ... it is not going to end this way."

Collins & Aikman said JPMorgan Chase has committed to provide up to $300 million of the so-called DIP financing and has agreed to provide funding to support the non-U.S. operations as well.

The company said it plans to ask for interim approval for up to $150 million of financing.

Financing, as well as cash from operations, is expected to provide sufficient liquidity for Collins & Aikman to meet expenses such as supplier obligations, wages, salaries and benefits, the company said.

Last Thursday, analysts said bankruptcy appeared almost inevitable for Collins & Aikman after it warned of significant near-term liquidity problems and said Chief Executive David Stockman, former budget director under President Reagan, had resigned.

Textron Inc. , a conglomerate that sold a business to Collins & Aikman, said that it is assessing exposure to the bankruptcy, but believes $39 million of preferred stock it holds in the parts maker likely will have little value.

Collins & Aikman's largest shareholder, Heartland Industrial Partners, in March agreed to buy a majority of preferred shares in Collins & Aikman that Textron held, with an option to buy the rest.

The parts maker said it retained Kroll Zolfo Cooper as financial adviser and named Kroll's John Boken as chief restructuring officer. It has retained Kirkland & Ellis as restructuring counsel and Lazard as its investment bank. (Additional reporting by Emily Chasan in New York)

(C) Reuters 2005. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

Reply to
·karl

sector corp.

Motors

without

contributed

bankruptcy

filings

Sternberg,

has

such

customers'

pressure,

way."

and

significant

the

an

redistribution of

means, is

Reuters. Reuters

trademarks of

Reply to
·Phil Scott

sector corp.

Odd as hell isn't it...we are a nation run by complete morons it seems... many of us saw this mess coming years ago..and were told by these arrogant folks 'the US has the largest share of the market, we are the best, we will continue to dominate'... now just a decade or so later GM is an empty shell and Ford and GM bonds are derated to junk status and Chrysler is owned by Germans.

We had the same insanity in the engineering business...'the US was the best' as we continued our insane engineering office good old boy practices until the indians and Russians ended up with our core business... then we said...'but the US still has the *management brains'.

bzzzzzzzzzzzzztttt sorry. Our managers in many cases are the dumbest and most corrupt of them all.

I talked to Boeing management directly on these issues in

1989... about the AirBus threat.. they laughed at me. Said AirBus had only 4% of the market...I said fine...plot their growth rate.

Now Boeing has lost 70% of the world market even after it acquired McDonald Douglas... and its loosing more of the market each year.. I called em on the phone last year and ask if they are still storing their titanium billets outside... oh ya. Once idiocy goes exponential and pervasive there is no core of talent to reverse the trend apparently.

on the subject of the news report below.... all those basic parts manufacturing jobs will have to move to china if the US auto manufactures are to survive.(unless we institute very high tarrifs to protect our standard of living)

That will further decimate the US consumer work force...and US auto sales..

.it will keep doing south as we hyper inflate the USD... and home prices and wages stagnate...

With stagnating wages... income tax revenue will fall in relation to the costs of running goverment (and paying 100k a year to retire cops at age 50 for example)...

..property taxes will have to increase...and those will be a percentage of the assesed valuations...as these skyrocket property taxes will further escalate...but not the wages to pay them..

Then the real estate bubble will burst.... shortly I think and others in the business are warning of that now.

At the bottom of all this, non competitive US worker wages included..... is over taxation by a bloated federal and states govt.

These destructive taxation levels, especially on the lower and middle classes drive up all costs, all wages and all prices... now to levels that the US workers cannot compete in international markets.

So what are we doing...we are staging to tax and work our middle class to death, as half retire (50 million of our most skilled over the next 4 years)... the rest will have to carry the now exponentially increasing load.

Its going to get nasty.....

It will be slightly less nasty, if a bit lean... for those with *minimal or no taxable assets, little or no seizable assets, broad skills, lots of tools..and a nasty attitude toward corruption and bloat in govt..

..... The smartest of these will remain valuable, healthy, not forced to overwork, and way more than competitive in the market place.

It is also interesting that as many of the US corporations seek employees they are looking for loyalty for life... amazing, as they themselves will lay off tens of thousands at the drop of a hat..... as they give their CEO's and upper management enough bonus to pay half of those wages...into the hundreds of millions of dollars... so what is such management going to do with that money? eat it? Nah...its going into china, to further decimate US jobs.

80% of the money that that used to flow into US corporations from around the world is now going into china.

It is an insane USA these days...it will pay to step away from the falling timber...and the vicious bastards in govt that to survive themselves must try to suck the last of your blood.

If you are not showing any veins these are unable to find a place to stick their needle.

Phil Scott

Motors

without

contributed