Need a back axle PROJECT :)

well guys yet another complete and utter pigs ear of a project is beginning and i'm on a parts quest atm

looking for a rear axle and diff that will fit roughly for a mk1 punto any suggestions guys?

got my engine and box just need a suitable back axle

oh if you really must enquire to what it is :)

Mk1 Punto RWD 3.9 V8 and yes it will come with a straight thru exhaiust and a pair of ear defenders

Reply to
Rob

Get yer measuring tape out and check out the axle from a Crapi ;)

Tony

Reply to
Tony Bond

Maybe something old and Fiat/Lancia/Alfa? one of the smaller rear drive front engine cars?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

You could use the 4x4 axle, but I don't know how long it will last.

Reply to
yeha

punto 4x4? or are u thinkin panda 4x4 (spits)

Reply to
Theo

as in Panda 4x4?

um, wont last 2 minutes :(

if you failed to scroll down on the original post i gave a hint of the projects power plant

a nice fresh Rover V8 taken out to 3,9 litres edelbrok carb on top and a set of viper cams

dont think a panda back axle would survive long :(

Reply to
Rob

X19 rear axle?

Reply to
Theo

Talbot Bumseam, Toyota Starlet, Mk1/2 Escort, 200/300 series Ovlovs, Corolla AE86 off the top of me head. Or looking at newer (and maybe more expensive) options - something from a lil 2 seater sporty thing (Z3, MX5 etc).

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Is an SD1 one too wide then? It's the obvious choice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I'd say adding an independently sprung rear drive axle to a car not designed for it a pretty major exercise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

probably stick out a foot on either side, then u gotta mess around with big arches n stuff to get thru mot.

Reply to
Theo

Surely it's just a case of sticking the diff in the middle, making up some suspension / mounts for the Rover suspension, then going to a place that will make / cut down your propshafts?

Reply to
Doki

MK Indy wishbones and uprights - narrowed Sierra XR4x4 diff and narrowed shaftts. All on a custom subframe. Fitted under standard bodywork.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Seconded. The Sierra setup is probably the best compromise between price and strength. The MK setup is very well thought out and beautifully simple :) I've MK 'bones on my Locost, welded loveliness....

Tony

Reply to
Tony Bond

I've got a diff, complete with driveshafts, from a Carlton, if that helps.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Wouldn't handle the power.

Reply to
SteveH

Heretic.

The only engine you should be thinking about for this conversion is an Alfa V6.

Reply to
SteveH

Cams (s) ????

Reply to
Burgerman

Err - I bust about 5 of those with a rover V8... And also a cossi one, and my younger bro bust 2 steel cosworth diffs in his V8 sierra (with 2 140bhp nitrous systems) So I wouldnt count on them!

Reply to
Burgerman

The only engine you should be thinking about for this conversion is an Alfa V6.

only problem is where do i get the other 2 cylinders to make it into a real engine?

Reply to
Rob