Surprisingly Economical

After my weekend away searching for a new house in South Wales, I sat down tonight to work out my average mpg for the weekend, only to be pleasantly surprised.

I've returned a frankly breathtaking 38mpg!

I can live with that from a large sports saloon.

Reply to
SteveH

Just had a weekend down in Newquay (from Cheshire) and averaged 46 mpg. Not bad for a large, heavy saloon (Rover 75), with an automatic gearbox. The BMW common-rail diesel engine helps! The type of roads make a big difference, of course, my journey was mainly motorway and dual carriageway - albeit undertaken at high cruising speed with two passengers plus our luggage.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

And to think I used to cheer when my old Sierra XR4i (2.8 V6) broke 20 mpg. On a run. When driven gently!! (groans!!)

Dan

Reply to
Dan Post

Know the feeling well! I used to gloat to my workmates when I got over 15mpg from my old 735i, or

20+mpg from the 3L senator. Now I'm in the land of frugal living: 25-28mpg from my 520i Tourer. Ah well, I just couldn't see myself in a 1.1 Fiesta! JB
Reply to
JB

Hmmm, I think I can beat that. I had a Ford Granada that managed 20mpg around town when warmed up and I got 32mpg on a 75 mile run. No, I didn't switch the engine off and coast for most of it. :-P

In contrast, I'm currently getting a constant 40-46mpg from a 306 D-turbo even though I have a medical problem[1] that makes my right foot rather heavy...

[1] Accelerous Pressus Fuelglugga Syndrome.

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Saul

There must have been something wrong, my xr4x4 gives over thirty mpg on a reasonable length run at speeds of 90 ish with passengers and luggage. 20 plus around town though.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Dan Post made the world a better place for us by saying..

I managed 32 out of one of them :-p

Reply to
Pete M

I'm amazed it was that bad - assuming you weren't thrashing it. My SD1 EFI of a similar age will better 30 at legal speeds, and it's an auto.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

What exactly is a "sports saloon"? Volvo S60? Saab 9-3? Mazda 6?

Next there'll be "sports" people carriers.

Groan.

-- James

Reply to
James

I suppose the hot versions of the above would be, as would things like the more performance orientated BMWs, Mercedes and Alfa Romeos.

Heh.... too late, Vauxhall have already done it with.....

Reply to
SteveH

I think it's an Alfa 75. Which is more sports saloon than your average sports saloon, if you see what I mean.

Reply to
Doki

Heh.

I like to think of it as an Alfetta GTV in sensible clothes ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

I reckon something like a lexus gs300 counts as a sports saloon.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

My best out of the 4i was 32 which was an "all motorway" run of 130 miles at between 70 and 80. As soon as it hit town speeds though it would plummet. My best in terms of realistic average was 22, which considering it never bettered 15 around town, was about right. I only had it for four months which was through a (bad) winter too, so lots of choke and defrost running time. I'm told they're noticeably more economical in summer.

Reply to
Dan Post

A sports saloon in my mind is a saloon that can be used to compete in motorsport, the same thing goes for a sports car. Anything else is just the marketing droids trying to sell product. Compete does imply some chance of success btw.

"Sporty" is probably a more correct word to use...

-- James

Reply to
James

That'll be the Alfa 75 then. ETCC winners back in the early '90s.

As was it's successor, the 155 and the 156 after that..... ISTR the 156 has won the ETCC several years in a row, including this year.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah - right. I'm not going to say what the SD1 *actually* averages including short town runs. I'd not be able to sleep.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I have memories of single figures whilst driving from Oxford to Cambridge

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Dave Plowman made the world a better place for us by saying..

My SD1 Vitesse was great on fuel on a run. 33-34 was possible. Spose the astronomic gearing in 5th helped.

Reply to
Pete M

that's bad considering you can get 20 + mpg on a run driven gently from a Similar engine in a 'coachbuilt' Transit Ambulance

Reply to
Martyn Hodson