Ok, so what will an early/mid 90's or earlier rangie cost me?

says...

I have thought about it. But what you are asking is a bit much. one month mortgage payment is about 500. I would need that clear out of whatever I get for the Octavia. -- Carl Robson Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest Homepage: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
Elder wrote:

Drive there in the Octy, park 300 yards away and ride your unicycle into the car park. If the employer likes quirky, you've got the job!
My point being: keep the Skoda dude.
Old Range Rover doesn't spell "Creative Eccentric" to me.
--
Douglas

More 'run down backstreet pub landlord', really.
snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk says...

Actually, now there is a career change I quite fancy. So run down they can't afford the sawdust and recycle the spit.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
In wrote:

/notes to the masses that I've never been a landlord/
--
Pete M - Using the Scouse Side of the Force -
Range Rover Vogue EFI

Or consider a 1.1 base spec 106. I got from home, to Lincoln, round Lincoln, to Loughborough, to Lincoln, to Home on 15... And I'm not known for my ability to drive economically.
--
Dan - on his PC

if it is the same size inside as a 1.1 Saxo, my knees wedge under the dashboard. Know I tried to drive one. It was one of the silliest cars I've tried to drive. I had to wrap my knees arround the steering wheel, and that normally works. This time though, I was wedged against the front edge of the dash. Could barely operate the pedals. -- Carl Robson Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest Homepage: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
Elder wrote:

Heh, I can drive a 106... If I take my shoes off. Have you tried a Smart Roadster?
--
Douglas

Couldn't afford a second mortgage to buy one unforunatley. other wise I would love one. They look fun. -- Carl Robson Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest Homepage: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com

Yeah, that or a late 205 1.1 is also an option. Trying to persaude her a ZX 1.9D is good at the moment.

Or a Punto 1.2 . I just drove from Wycombe to Burnley and back via Leeds on 35 and I'm not the most economical of drivers either.. Weird driving position though...
Mike P

Puntos I can fit OK. Learn't to drive in a Mk2 diesel. -- Carl Robson Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest Homepage: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
I have this theory that the cars with the most potential to thrill / excite / please you are also the ones with the most potential to ruin you as well.
That's why I have a silver Golf 1.6....zzzzz (and the Sylva which I've just bought a ZX10 engine for, but you know what I mean).
That's also why you should really hold onto the Skoda.
Not that exciting, but you know it's not going to bite you. Ever. There's no way on earth that a grands worth of V8 Range Rover can be considered as trustworthy. It would drain your wallet like you wouldn't believe. Even just sitting there, every day you will think of a job that needs doing on it. And another thing, it weighs 157 Tons and handles like a drunken camel with a dodgy hip.
Don't get me wrong, I've always wanted one, but I've never actually done it. (Probably never will either).
Keep The Skoda

Vamp in making sensible suggestion shocker.
snipped-for-privacy@beeteeopenworld.com says...

Not sure. Might be time to change the shocks/spring/brakes soon. I don't fancy that hit. Maybe a few miles yet but the brakes definatlay aren't as sharp when I bought it back in easter, and it definatley dives and pitches more than it did. I don't imagine anything is dangerously worn out yet. Just a little worn.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
In wittered on forthwith;

You can have my '87 Rangie EFi Auto for 600. Mot'd til April, tax til end October. It's got 90% of an LPG kit on it as well.
Complete new exhaust on it about 300 miles ago.
Needs big end shells as light rattle on over-run. They're a piece of piss to do though, drop sump, change shells, replace sump.
If you want it with another engine in, 750.
--
Pete M - Using the Scouse Side of the Force -
Range Rover Vogue EFI
snipped-for-privacy@bogoffwithzepressedmeatblueyonder.co.uk says...

That is very tempting. Even the "other engine" option. What is missing from the LPG kit, what does it need to gt working? That would be the killer app for me. Would get the price down to everyday useable, rather than just comfort when I used it.
Need to sell the Octavia. And need to convince the sensible one that buying a cheap 4x4 really will help :( -- Carl Robson Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest Homepage: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
In says...

As far as I can tell it needs a gas ring, and a few bits wiring back in. I've never used the gas on it because it's not worked while I've owned it. Besides, I got the black LPG one so I didn't need to get it fixed.
Now I could do with fixing it.

The insurance on an old Rangie is spectacularly cheap.
--
Pete M - Using the Scouse Side of the Force -
Range Rover Vogue EFI
snipped-for-privacy@bogoffwithzepressedmeatblueyonder.co.uk says...

Cheers, I'll check that out. Might just do it.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
snipped-for-privacy@bogoffwithzepressedmeatblueyonder.co.uk says...

Wow, about 50 a year more than the Octavia for a petrol Rangie if it has a thatcham approved alarm fitted (doesn't which category though). So which would do you reckon be the cheaper option? New shells at a mechanic, or new engine?
Not saying yes yet. Need to sort a buyer for the octie if I go for it. -- Carl Robson Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest Homepage: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com