What might kill a rangie dead?

After being really happy that I had it running on LPG properly, the big=20 old lump proper died two weeks ago, twice in one day and now refuses to=20 start. I originally thought it was damp causing ignition faults. But he AA guy who towed me thought it was the coil. I tried a new coil but that did nowt. Have tried a new(from a scrappy but from metro that had low miles and=20 was used as a crumple zone) em9 ignition moldule, but that didn nowt. In the last two weeks, a brand new battery that was holding charge fine,=20 has managed to drain itself. but that could have been a mixture of=20 cranking and radio memory.

I was informed by someone on the difflock forums that that they had a=20 halfords dizzycap fail in a month with similar symptoms, and I had just=20 replaced it a month previous with a halfords cap. looking inside the=20 cap, the carbon electrode is fine, but each of the 8 terminals looks to=20 have been carved up by the rotor arm. the cap was a very tight fit too.

I'm now trying to locate a new cap and rotor arm locally, but can't find=20 anthing other than halfords.

Before total failure, the symptoms were stuttering and stammering under=20 load at or above 2k revs, then random cutting out and failure to restart (first time it did it, it was pissing down hence the initial dampness=20 theory), then if it re-started would idle roughly but die immediatley=20 any revs were applied.

Since then, nothing, won't even fire and idle badley. I've had to buy=20 something to replace it as =A38 a day train fares was too costly, so I now= =20 need to get it running to sell it. Any v8 gurus in cheshire fancy giving=20 me a hand anytime at the weekend if it is dry and I can locate a dizzy=20 cap and rotor arm to try.

getting desperate and refuse to sell a non runner.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

two questions

1) whereabouts are you? 2) is there a partco near you?

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

rotor arm and/or distributor cap.

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

Dead condensor?

Reply to
EMB

I'm in warrington yes there is a Partco, but I had the parts on order from a local motorfactor, and then their supplier couldn't find them.

Just found out that at somepoint today, some evil little scrote has smashed the passenger window to knick the stereo.

So now it is dead and insecure. Brilliant.

Reply to
Elder

It is a thought.

Reply to
Elder

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Elder wittered on forthwith;

Carl, I'll be by yours on Thursday afternoon in mine, I have the dizzy cap and rotor arm I took off it today in the boot (they're fine, mine ran sweet as, I've only changed them because I had new ones). I'll be passing by yours around 5, 5.30ish but will hang on if you'll be later.

Reply to
Pete M

Which model and which window do you want, I've got some secondhand glass.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

it is an 89 5 door EFi 3.5

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

it is an 89 5 door EFi 3.5

You still didn't say which window you wanted. :-) The front door windows are same as Disco 1.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

your symptoms are exactly the same as what i experienced on my car that was fixed by replacing the condensor... always keep a spare!

Reply to
Tom Woods

The window glass thickness reduced from (I think) 4 to 3 mm at around this time. It might make no difference but you should be aware .....

Reply to
Dougal

Sorry, front passenger. Where abouts are you? I could ideally do with getting it secured. The little crap heads were=20 in it again today while I was at work.

While I was taping the bag back up, a couple walking past said "Has it=20 been broken into, the police were looking at it yesterday". Nice of the=20 police to notify me, the registered keeper isn't it. I didn't bother to=20 report it after I found out because the insurance excess is more than=20 the damage, and all they would do is issue a crime number. But it turns=20 out they knew before I did.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Elder wittered on forthwith;

I know someone who's got a full set of glass for a Rangie. Do you want me to ask him how much? Can't believe they boshed the front window, muppets. There's a 1/4 light in the back door, that's what they normally go through.

Reply to
Pete M

Sorry, front passenger. Where abouts are you?

Just east of Manchester, I'm 99% certain I've got one but you may have to replace the metal runner on the bottom with the one from yours, it may be rusting badly, quite easy to change, if you bring the metal bit I will put it on for you. If you are near then mail a phone number, the address is valid, just remove the obvious.

Martin

I could ideally do with getting it secured. The little crap heads were in it again today while I was at work.

While I was taping the bag back up, a couple walking past said "Has it been broken into, the police were looking at it yesterday". Nice of the police to notify me, the registered keeper isn't it. I didn't bother to report it after I found out because the insurance excess is more than the damage, and all they would do is issue a crime number. But it turns out they knew before I did.

Reply to
Oily

I'm just west of Manchester over in Warrington. I work in Reddish, so=20 could maybe arrange to come over one evening after work.

If it just unbolts from the rail, I could probably manage it myself with=20 the aid of the HBOL.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

I'll see if the one that Oily has, or the couple in Wade's scrappy at=20 winwick are any good first. They have a diesel of some sort and a carb petrol one. Don't know if they are manual or lecky though.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

I'm just west of Manchester over in Warrington. I work in Reddish, so could maybe arrange to come over one evening after work.

If it just unbolts from the rail, I could probably manage it myself with the aid of the HBOL.

Just noticed your other post, mine are from electrically operated ones, I had forgotten about the manual ones.

Martin

Audio stream:

Playing at home:Crüxshadows-Windbringer

Oily

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Elder wittered on forthwith;

Won't make any difference as you'll be fitting your runner to it anyway.

Reply to
Pete M

It will if they are the old ones with quarter lights, I had forgotten about those. I take it the glass is the same then on the later manual (without 1/4 lights) and the electric ones?

Martin

Reply to
Oily