Old mobiles. Quite possibly Nokia.

I used to think that - until I got the K800i, which has a camera equal to most small digital cameras - the only thing it's missing is optical zoom - but that's not an issue for the kind of use most compact digicams get.

Reply to
SteveH

Probably. Whatever that is. :-p

Reply to
Pete M

I'd really like a decent camera/phone combo. The K800i I had came closest to being OK, in a £15 digicam from Tesco sort of way.

My other camera is a Canon 350D, so I am perhaps a bit fussy when it comes to image quality.

Without trying to diss the phone I sold the 'VanMan too much, I bought a W880i to replace it which has an inferior 2megapixie fixed focus non flash camera on the back because I didn't feel phone cams were up to a standard where they're really worth having yet.

It's a pixel count race as far as I can tell which sacrafices quality in the race for huge images. I had a 2megapixie compact Nikon camera a few years ago which was miles ahead of the W880i, K800i and even most of the pictures I've seen from the likes of N95.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

The Nokia 6500 Slide has a good camera. Shame the rest of the phone is so shit though.

Reply to
Conor

Wrong city by a few miles and a long motorway. But if it is, I have a Saab, it might help locate him.

Reply to
Elder

Heh I used the first video 'mobile' years back. Pre-3G... It was about the size of a shoebox...

Reply to
Abo

In fact, I've gooogled a picture:

Abo

Doesn't fit in your pocket though. The K800i is fine for taking quick snaps at parties and stuff without having to carry seprate gadgets in your pocket.

Reply to
Abo

I didn't express myself well. There are cameras and there are proper cameras. My preferred cameras need proper optics.

I've used the K800i's camera. Good for a camera 'phone, but not good enough for the sort of photographs I'd want to take. That needs an SLR...

For sending pictures via MMS, the W300i's camera was fine, as is the Treo's camera.

Reply to
DervMan

I'm with Doug on this one, no phone camera is suitable for taking actual photos. Ok for when you're on the piss in a pub, but no real use as a camera.

Reply to
DanB

It's fine for that kind of stuff, and for the usual holiday snaps etc.

I've bought a proper camera for everything else (some Panasonic Lumix thing, SLR style, but lenses aren't changeable) - Katie has an Olympus dSLR, too.

Just uploading a load of holiday snaps to photobox as an example of what the K800i can do.

Reply to
SteveH

Here we go:

All taken on the K800i - they've been run through Potatoshop to do a 'quick fix' and shrink them for the web, but that's all.

Reply to
SteveH

Otherwise, it was you though...

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

These were taken on my K800i:

?action=view&current=DSC00601.jpg Straight from the phone onto Photobucket

Reply to
Abo

Always worked fine before. Probably because the lead from the hub to the PC is stupidly short. In fact, that's probably got bugger all to do with power and more to do with data degradation, or something.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

My Z1010 was SE's first 3g phone. Pretty cool features wise but a bit thick for a flip phone. It was also about 1 year late to be released.

I still have mine as an emergency spare.

Reply to
Elder

DVLA reckon your RR was first registered in Jan 95. Cellnet and Orange launched their GSM services in 94 - there is a chance you have a car kit for an analogue phone in which case it was last able to make a call in 2001...

The car kit looks to be for a phone with the antenna on the left side. The Nokia 1011 [1] could fit the bill but was pretty old hat by 95. It's successor, the 2110 [2], had the antenna on the right. Motorolas were also usually found with the antenna on the right.

The other big player that did have the antenna on the left was Ericsson (pre Sony merger). You could be looking for a GH337 or GH388.

Good luck finding a working one...

[1]
Grant

No, it doesn't. It has a tiny lens and a tiny pixels - the light collecting ability simply isn't anywhere near as good as even a modest consumer camera. It works ok-ish in good light levels, but in anything worse than dusk it's useless and noisy.

you can see in the first, it's very difficult to get the auto-levels right. The scene lacks contrast, even though it was a clear day. There is purple fringing across the field, and the JPEG compression when you zoom in is just horrible. Even at these light levels the noise is obvious on the water surface.The second looks better, but the colour balance is all wrong, and again the JPEG compression is hideous. Don't get me wrong - it's good, for a phone camera; in fact it's the best I've ever used, but it is still basically rubbish. It's fundamentally limited by lens/pixel size, on top of which you have noisy electronics and cludgy image processing.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

OTOH it's as good as any digital camera I'd be happy to carry around on the piss (although I have strong objections to cameras being taken on the piss), and the fact that it's in my phone means I don't have to carry two things. If I wanted to take photos, or expected to be taking photos, I'd carry a proper camera around.

Reply to
Doki

I'd agree, except that it's normally fairly dark when you're out on the razz, and then it's useless, just 'cos there isn't enough light. You'd be better with some olde 1.3MP jobby for that.

I really wish someone would make a camera with

Reply to
Albert T Cone