OT: Anyone owned a Microsoft Zune?

I haven't! I had one of the Zen things, and the touch interface never worked properly. Creative 'fixed' it, but there was no difference. I got rid of it and bought an iPod (I wasn't going to, but a friend recommended it). The strangest thing with the iPod was that it was like a chick magnet. Weird. It doesn't even vibrate.

Reply to
conkersack

I'm sorry but that bit about sound quality is just plain wrong. The iRiver uses ASICs as a DAC, the iPod uses a discrete Wolfson DAC of much higher quality than the iRiver offering.

Are you actually saying the iRiver headphones are better than the iPod headphones? I can agree with that, the headphones supplied with the iPod are rubbish. Change them for a different pair or use an audiophile dock and connect the iPod to a HiFi and it's clear that the sound quality is exceptional.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Get a better class of girlfriend, job done.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Odd I haven't noticed that effect.

Reply to
Steve Firth

iTunes is manky bloatwear that messes about with how your files are stored. iPods are for the "cool" people, the last group of people I have ever wanted to be associated.

There is nothing more standard than a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack, especially as the radio I have already has the input for one attached.

Or are you suggesting I should ditch the radio, and so the sat nav, and buy a new radio with Nav, then buy the iPod addon, then buy the iPod, just to listen to MP3s on longer journeys?

Reply to
Elder

...And despite the fact that some campers of this parish were telling you what image that product presented to them, that it made you an unsuccessful pub landlord, or some sort of gypsy, you went ahead and bought it. Then you had a good ol' waft about the place, your rear seat passengers got vibrated and you presumably had a grin on your face which is all that matters as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, I think my point is that discounting iPod purely because of what you think you'll become if you buy one is silly. Be honest, you don't want one because SteveH owns one, and he'll turn out to be right if you like it. (c:

Incidentally, I was past a couple of 'travelling persons' encampments last week. Among the Transits with landscaping/driveway decals and mobile numbers on, dogshit, rubbish, sattelite dishes, empty LPG bottles and half-naked androgenous children setting things on fire were a number of current model Passats and previous shape Audi A4s.

Presumably they'd all just driven up from St Albans.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Well, it's not bloatware. It's a very powerful piece of software, and hence quite resource hungry, but it's not bloatware.

It does move files around, but that's not an issue, because iTunes is the most powerful and logical piece of software on the market for keeping MP3s organised.

*shrugs*

Saabs are for estate agents and accountants, but that hasn't stopped you buying one.

Toyota badged Lexii are for pikeys, that didn't stop you either.

Yes, your point is?

No, I'm not suggesting that.

I'm suggesting that there are many, many more cables / cradles / connectors / head unit interfaces for the iPod than any other brand of MP3 player.

If you want to be 'different', go ahead, but also accept that you'll be forced into buying an inferior and / or more expensive product.

Reply to
SteveH

I might consider a Celica, I quite like how they look, but perfect example, I cringe at Del Sols, I've never taken a second look at one though. I definately wouldn't buy either if I wanted sporty though.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I quite like the 'Del Sol' shaped CRX.

Wouldn't have one with the hydraulic roof, though.

Reply to
SteveH

Can't polish a turd?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

It makes you install quicktime and various bits of it run in the background and are very difficult indeed to stop. I have voiced that I am not a fan of iTunes for Windows in the past. Fine if you've got a beefy enough PC I guess.

You can turn the moving files about bit off. Or you can get it to copy them to its own file structure and leave the originals as they are. Or you can make it reorganise them.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

If you don't want an iPod, don't get one, I'm not trying to turn this into a 'you must get an iPod' argument, but that must be the stupidest reason there ever has been to completely discount something.

Aren't phones with Windows mobile 'cool'? Are you sure this isn't a SteveH windup exercise?

No, but if you get an iPod, you quite possibly won't need a new one before you get a new car or fancy a new car stereo. You might fancy full integration then even if you don't now. Some stereos don't need an addon and if you plumb the cable to a cubbyhole, nobody will ever need to know you've got one. It can be your dirty secret.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Must admit the majority of SQ problems with iPods are the numpty users who haven't found the compression settings in iTunes. I'm currently an iRiver H320 user, probably going to switch to a 160 gig classic or a 32 gig touch.

As headphones go - Westone UM2s, there's nothing else worth having for portable use...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yes but none of them will fit my car, so unless I go ahead and replace what is there, old though it is, and perfectly functional, even if I buy an iPod, I'm stuck with the 3.5mm headphone socket. So I might as well buy something else as an iPod because as well as costing two-three times the price, I won't be getting the best out of the iPod through the headphone socket, so it will sound no better than one of the other units.

Reply to
Elder

What are you looking for?

If you want a cheap, flash device that'll hold a handful of albums, then you can get all sorts of cheap players that'll do the job.

If you want something that's going to hold your entire MP3 library, then the iPod can't be beaten on price per gig.

Reply to
SteveH

You'd get the best from an iPod using the line out from the dock connector into the 3.5mm in the head unit.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

In fact I can't find anyone else who makes a 160gig music oriented device...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

iPod, Mac, VW, Audi aspirations, likes wearing leather, lives in Wales, come on, who you trying to kid??

It's the best, let down by the hardware really, though 3g is no advantage to the BB system it would make it the only phone you need (lack of 3g kills it for me, I use HSPDA for laptop access occasionally and can't be doing with an additional device)

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It's let down by being hopelessly outdated, and not offering office file compatability out of the box.

3G would also be good for sending photographs and larger spreadsheets.

The attachment viewer is also almost completely useless.

Reply to
SteveH

Attachment viewer is good enough for most use, if you want real mobile working then windows mobile is the way to go, or just bluetooth an EEE to the berry...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp