OT (but everyone else does anyway) DVD-R/RW Problems

Has anyone had any trouble with Mr-Data DRD-R/RW or HP DVD-R/RW discs? Almost everythign I stuck in my burner bought six months ago worked fine, until I tried to use these discs.

I can't remember for the life of me what burner it was. It was bought from Maplin, came in an Orange box, and now they don't carry it anymore, so I can't even check.

The drive did come with a liveupdate type firmware updater, but when I tried to use it, it could detect the drive because it is on a ATA133 PCI card, rather than on a motherboard channel.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Control Panel --> System --> Hardware --> Device Manager --> DVD/CD-ROM Drives.

What's listed in there ?

The reason you can't burn the Mr-Data discs is cos they'll require a burning-strategy that's newer than your drive's firmware, and none of it's fallbacks are working.

Give me the make and model, and I'll link you the necessaries :)

Reply to
Nom

DVDRW 1008

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

BTW sorted it. on the front of the drive it said drvupdate.com for updates.

When I first got it, I tried to flash it using DRVupdate's live update and it said it couldn't find the drive.

Downloaded it again over the weekend. Tried again, and it managed to locate the correct drive on the correct controller. Flashed it up, and now the Mr-Data +R +RW -RW and -R discs all burn and format)RW) perfectly.

I did think it was firmware before I started, but didn't think what to do when the last time I tried their updater program it wouldn't work.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Excellent - I don't need to go hunting for "DVDRW 1008" firmware then :)

It doesn't matter that the drive "is on a ATA133 PCI card, rather than on a motherboard channel". As long as said card has a BIOS on it, then it'll install it's devices into the system automagically, and they should work with all tools, DOS or Windows. If they don't, then the tool is broken !

Reply to
Nom

The first version I downloaded before Xmas only listed my DVDrom, and bizarely the "virtual" SCSI DVD/CD drives that Daemon tools and Alcohol

120% make available.

The new version (I uninstalled and deleted the old one when it was shown to be less than useless) picked up both the channel and correct drive without even having to search for the drive.

I can now back selected downloaded crap and junk, and burn DVDr rips.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar