OT: Cats and Flies

Funnily enough, so do we. Smartarse. ; )

Fraser

PS when driving up north a few years back we saw temps of 50 degrees celcius. No fun at all.

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Is it actually bearable to be outside when it hits 40 degrees upwards in Summer? The Mrs' family reckon it's great, but I can't see it myself. Why else would everyone drive everywhere and there be so many air conditioned malls on shopping streets?

Reply to
Doki

It's ok for short periods of time if you can escape back to airconditioning. Having a car without aircon is crazy in our summers. Imagine being in a metal can that is 50 degrees celcius. No fun at all. However going to the beach for a swim at those sort of temps is brilliant.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

5 days a year?? Pah, thanks to global warming it's at least 6 or 7 these days!

-- "They said to me 'You could be anyone you wanted to be', but I was realistic and only ever aimed to be me, which I already was. So I gave up trying."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I was out yesterday with my non contact thermometer (better than actually doing work).

Ambient air temp was a steady 30c The tarmac (S facing slight slope) 50c Boot of BMW (metallic red) 56c Boot of Polo (old light blue non metallic) 60c Boot of Karman Ghia (metallic purple) 67c

Reply to
Depresion

We've got AC in our bedroom here...

Reply to
Abo

Not if you're a lardy bastard like me. People chase you with harpoons...

Reply to
Abo

Nah. Us Australians are a friendly lot. We just try to roll you back in. ; )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Eww. Big windows are a bad thing. People might *see* you. Heh. :p

Reply to
DervMan

I have big skylights. Lots of light, lots of air, no one can see me. Mwahaha.

Reply to
DanTXD

Hmm maybe not.

Reply to
Depresion

Skylights rock. We have skylights. They rock.

Reply to
DervMan

Surely average speed is a very unreliable way of measuring things?

I mean - 30mph average could mean mainly cruising around 45-50 mph, with a few roundabouts/junctions to slow down for, and some slower driving in built-up areas, or it could mean lots of stop-start city driving in heavy traffic (

Reply to
AstraVanMan

By itself, maybe, but when combined with the average fuel consumption it takes on some more meaning.

On a similar journey in the same car, an ex-boss averaged 51.5 mph and 30 mpg. I averaged 50.5 mph and... 37 mpg...

Reply to
DervMan

Not really. As AVM sez, you can get any particular average speed in a wide range of ways, so unless you specify the type of driving as well as the average speed, it's pretty much meaningless.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Just got back from Leeds, 44.1mpg, 49mph. Is that good?

I reset everything as I left Asda petrol station.

Reply to
DanTXD

That's phenomenally marvellous. Take ten house points.

-- "They said to me 'You could be anyone you wanted to be', but I was realistic and only ever aimed to be me, which I already was. So I gave up trying."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I've been trying not to slow down you see cos the brake pads need replacing and it's due a service tmrw :-) Didn't wanna have to make two trips now did I....

Reply to
DanTXD

Not using the brakes is definitely the best way of saving fuel, 'cos it does, and you don't slow down as much :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Hmm, I agree in part, but not entirely. To be completely fair, it ought to be same route, traffic, time of day and weather... but we can't go that. Instead, I'm thinking medium to longer term. 10,000 miles plus, all driving conditions.

Reply to
DervMan