(OT) Dont you hate it...

When someone drops a bollock at work and it ruins your whole day :o)

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Therapist required apply within....

Reply to
Mason

In article , snipped-for-privacy@plus.net spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Don't worry mate, I know all about whining customers, even when you place a restriction on a certain "free" service (e.g. they don't pay for it, and the Virtual ISP they use didn't pay to offer it speratley it was bundled) that while restricing some of it's use, speeds up the majority of use.

We had IP restricted POP and SMTP, we also offered webmail open from anywhere in the world. In the end we had to restrict webmail to the IP restrictions too, because Spammers where using the webmail through scripted mass signups, and command line send spam through the webmail, so the server was failing, through both being overloaded with traffic, and being filled to capacity with bloated logs, and bounced mails or complaints, and we ended up spamcop blacklisted.

Customers complained and demanded action so they could recieve their mails. So we closed the problem, got ourselves of Spamcop, got the box running at a better load, and then the same customers are complaining because they can't check and send mail through webmail anymore from Bahrain, Rio, or Milan. Of course we offered those disgruntled users a full refund of their webmail costs :)

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I get webmail and pop/smtp from my webhoster :)

Except its down at the moment....

Reply to
DanTXD

Reply to
Chet

you should never rely on webmail anyway. It's usefull yes, but at the end of the day it's not supposed to be relied on.

we've just implimented @Mail for our users and they hate it :o)

scared of change.

Reply to
Mason

But the problem is, when it goes down, mails don't just collect on my server, they all get bounced :'(!

Reply to
DanTXD

learn to use outlook :oP

Reply to
Mason

Mine don't, they just wait patiently for me. Thats with all 3 packages of ronny's i have

Reply to
Chet

Click send receive, it errors because the server is down, how do i get round this? And when people send a mail to it, it goes back to them as undeliverable, how do i stop that? I'm actually asking, because if there is a way round it, it would be nice to know :)

It doesn't go down very often, but when it does, i always seem to miss important mails.

Reply to
DanTXD

That's a poorman's solution - the whole point of the webmail is that you can get to it from *anywhere* !

What you should have done, is either removed the online-signup OR made it script-proof (ie, needs human character recognition, like Yahoo/Hotmail/etc. do) :)

Reply to
Nom