OT:More computer stuff...

Whilst we're so computer orientated in here at the moment, does anyone know how the bleeding hell you can make share a folder on a Windows Server 2003 box across different networks ?

I have a some networked computers on a domain, running alongside another bunch based on a plain old workgroup. If I share a folder on a Server

2003 box on either network and give everyone full permission on it, the other network can't access it :(

Anyone got any ideas? (bearing in mind they can't be munged into one single big network so that's not an option).

Reply to
Lordy.UK

By seperate network, I assume you mean different subnets? If you mean two physical seperate networks, is there a link anywhere??

If you're wanting to access the 2003 server by name (i.e \\win2k3) then you'll need a WINS server running to provide NetBIOS -> IP resolution. Otherwise, you should be able to get away with \\ip.add.of.2k3 (i.e \\192.168.120.24).

You'll need, obviously, to provide credentials on the non-domain systems in the form of DOMAIN\User for username.

Any help? If not - what errors you seeing, if any? Is the 2003 server pingable from the workgroup PCs in question?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Yup, load of computers hooked up together - half running on a domain based network, half on a plain old workgroup.

That's what I do. I was running just Win2K which worked fine, but have problems with allowing large amounts of users into the shared folder (as obviously Win2K crippleware is limited to how many can do that in order to force you to upgrade). That's the only reason to swap really, so I can let more people in.

I just want to literally let *everyone* in, no accounts or anything (I have tried adding individual computers as users though, but it still didn't work).

Can't remember the message offhand, I'll have a look tomorrow.

I suppose the other option is to run a FreeSpire box or something, but I have no idea if it would work in the way that I need it to :/

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Win2K PC on domain network trying to access shared folder on PC running Server2003 on a plain old workgroup network, gets the following message.;

\\(MyServerName) is not accessible Logon Failure : the target name is incorrect

Reply to
Lordy.UK