OT: Ping Pete M

I've heard snippets recently about flooding in the Czech Republic but when I try to google or bing for more info, it's returning stuff from previous years, not now. Have you heard anything about it from your friends over there mate?

Reply to
John

Nothing much, most of my friends over there are either just outside Prague or in the mountains of Bohemia. The flooding is closer to Moravia, the River Ol?e and Tr(inec neck of the woods.

Czech Gubbermint are being really generous, if your house is flooded they'll give you about £1100... if it's destroyed then you're on for closer to £5500. Bargain!

Reply to
Pete M

Wow, really generous! Thanks for the info Pete.

Reply to
John

I've just today returned from the mountains of Bohemia and there were no signs of floodage anywhere, so it obviously didn't make it 'oop north'.

Oh, and why has this froup died lately? Shirley it wasn't 'completely' driven by company car choices?

Reply to
Pete M

Aye, dunno. Still see most of the same posters posting on u.r.c.misc and others. Guess that's the life cycle of usenet or something.

Anyway, you still planning the Big Move to czech? I might be making a trip over there over summer, so I may pick your brains at some point on places to visit and tourist spots to avoid.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

The big move to Czech is a bit wobbly at the moment. Work has been pretty good lately, so I don't want to give that up just yet. Get some money together and then see what happens.

If you get the chance to go, go. If you stray far from Prague then don't expect many people to speak English... I've been hacking away at learning Czech for four or five years now and I can only just communicate with the natives..

Reply to
Pete M

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 01:35:36 +0100, Pete M spouted forth:

We're all growing up and don't do many mods. Gone are the days of Rob and his V8 Punto, Vamp and his Chavalier and so on. The young'uns nowadays use these horrid things called forums. Usenet is too complex for them...

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Oh, some of us are still doing stuff.

My crappy old Sylva still take up some of my time palying with cars, and I still get to play with racing cars too. It just never seems to be worthwhile talking about it nowadays, in what appears to be an empty pub.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 22:37:08 +0100, Bob Sherunckle spouted forth:

I've got a Xantia Activa. Apart from chipping it, there's not a great deal I can do to it on my driveway :-( I will get something else I can play with soon though.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

'specially since the smoking ban...

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Good feed-line!

I've just got back from Czech yesterday and there's no smoking ban there. Pubs smell like pubs should, are everywhere and they're full. They do appear to have non-smoking pubs, but they're mainly 'family' type pubs from what I can see. Which is fair enough.

Went to check up on the Escort, engine looks immense. Body's still a mess, but mechanically the thing is as new - and looks it.

Got to order a load of body repair panels for it from Germany. Not much point in spending weeks making plates for the rusty bits when the entire panel is available. Just needed to confirm which bits were needed and have a look at what has been done.

Got two Rover SD1s at the moment. One's a tweaked VdP EFi with a 4.2 JE engineering engine, and the other is a standard (apart from stupid exhaust) 3.5 VdP EFi. Enjoying them.

Reply to
Pete M

Some of us are currently short a garage or five to work in...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Some of us are currently short of a garage to work in and always have been. I built my locost on the drive, no excuses :)

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Some of us are currently short of a garage to work in and always have been. I built my locost on the drive, no excuses :)

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

A drive? What's wrong with the street? With traffic wardens coming round every five minutes too, of course...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Out here the HOAs (home owners associations) tend to get arsy about working on your car in the parking lot, especially if you live in a ski resort as we do at the moment.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I miss Tom de Moor for real information and SteveH to beat on.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Albert T Cone wrote:

We've been going there for our holidays for the last 16 years but we've only been to Prague three times. Brilliant place but it's like any other capitol city, ie, very touristy and expensive, although not as expensive as London. About an hour outside Prague is the town of Kutna Hora (nice place in itself and worth a look) and in Sedlec, one of its suburbs, is the Ossuary aka The Church of Bones. Very well worth an hour looking round there and just a block away is a great bar/restaurant where (a couple of years ago) we got beef steak with chips and veg for about 2 quid.

We've driven all over the country and found some great places, amongst which is the town of Liberec. Last year we stayed in the town itself, at the Hotel Praha for a couple of days. However, if you're in the area, one place you should _definitely_ stay at is the Hotel Jested, just outside the town itself. It's a television transmission tower on the top of Mount Jested and I'll guarantee you've never stayed anywhere like it before. Have a look at the photo gallery here
The town of Cesky Budejovice is worth a night or two. Like most Czech towns it has a historic old town square and great architecture but it also has THE brewery! This is where the original, and best, Budweiser is brewed. Not that merkin s**te but the true, proper stuff. We did the trip round the brewery and then spent a few hours drinking the fine liquid in the brewery bar - at the equivalent of about 60p/pint IIRC :o)

Finally (gotta go 'cos me tea's ready) our most favourite place in the whole of CZ and the place we'd live if we could, is the town of Cesky Krumlov. Yes, it's become evry touristy since we first discovered it 16 years ago but I don't care. It's fantastic. Messing about on the river or sitting in a bar with a beer, the place is just magical.

John

Reply to
John

I know Liberec very well indeed. It's where I visit regularly.

Tis lovely there, although beer prices have risen a bit since last time I was there, closer to 75p/pint now. :)

Not tried there yet, I'll put it on the list for the drive home with the Mk2.

Reply to
Pete M

Lovely there innit :o)

You certainly won't be disappointed my friend. We never have anything planned in advance for our holidays - just leave home here in Preston and drive. The only thing we know is that at some point during the holiday, we _will_ be in Cesky Krumlov :o)

One thing I will say - don't stay on Kajovska. There's a couple of nightclubs sprung up around there and they don't shut until 4am. It gets to about 5 before the street gets quiet again but at about 5.30, deliveries start!!

The river passes through the town in an ox-bow shape and you can hire canoes and rafts for a day or half day and canoes by the hour. There's two weirs and an hour gives you enough time to go over both weirs, carry the canoe overland for about 100m and then do it all again. Me and my mate missed the overland bit and ended up 15Km down river four hours later! :o)

Reply to
John