[OT] Router and QOS config?

right i've been trying to work out how to use QOS on my router, i want to limit the bandwidth on newsgroups as my dad downloads a lot from newsgroups and it's lagging the shit out of my x box games when i play on x box live :)

anyone know a good simple site to help me? google has so far thrown degree level shit at me!

Reply to
Vamp

What router?

Reply to
Depresion

may help huh, it's a speedtouch 510 and i have to config it through the telnet menu as it's not got the settings on the flashy menu, i think there maybe a firmware update with improved QOS menu added but i can't find it on there silly site :(

quite an old router but i love it, got it because it was one of the rare routers that supported UPnP at the time.

Reply to
Vamp

I didnt think QOS had anything to do with port throttling....

Reply to
Theo

i read on the web somewhere it did! now i'm confused :-S can a router do port throttling? i'd rather do it on the router than a seperate program that would probably crash or get closed down by the user.

Reply to
Vamp

You would probably need to spend a bit of money on a decent router/firewall (no offence to your existing one ;)), I've got a Draytek Vigor2900 and it does VLAN's and stuff, QOS and throttling if you want it to. I've never used these features, but it does do them...

HTH

Dan

Reply to
[-=Dan=-]

my router does do it it seems but i don't understand it enough to work it haha :-P router cost me £150 a few years back it must be now!

Reply to
Vamp

[-=Dan=-]

hmmm seems the latest firmware has better QOS on it but i'm scared of firmware updates :)

Reply to
Vamp

dont be, firmware is only risky on computers, because you have to use the computer to flash it, if u balls it up u will have nothing to flash it with, but the router is flashed via the computer, so dont be scared...

Reply to
Theo

ohh it has a nice proggy to do it for me, think i'll do it as the firmware adds some cool stuff to play with! i'm a bit old skool and i'm used to dos flashing stuff :-P

firmware ect is off the speedtouch site and has been out for a while so should be fine i hope :)

Reply to
Vamp

Well, if you don't post for a while we'll know why!

Reply to
[-=Dan=-]

SAR710 IIRC, maybe the 702. Got one or two here - they're fine as long as you don't do p2p as they can't handle the load!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I bought my first ISDN card from them, made me an LPB in Quake2 ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)