Door wide open? (semi OT)

Seems to me that Ebay's recent crap has left the door open for another company to step in and at least take a chunk of their market; i.e. the automotive and especially the classic and antique parts and car market. There is enough of it to do a completely separate thing and advertising needed would be minimal 'cause the hobbyists would provide enough word of mouth advertising. Maybe Hemmings or the Kruse operation?? Most of us car people don't look much at the rest of ebay, or at least not as often or with as much 'vigor'... While I'm on the ebay subject, has anyone decided to add some handling fee for paypay use? Many places add a fee for credit card use, so why not for using the ripoff paypal dept. of ebay? And JP...where are you about all the new ebay policy? I haven't seen too much of you "weighing in" on all this, either here or on the M&H forum... Studebaker George (One of the "little" sellers that is getting stomped on...or out?)

Reply to
Studebaker George

I'm guessing you seen this, right George? Straight from the M&H Gang...

158 MB

Reply to
mbstude

It seems to me (and a few others) that eBay is tired of fooling with "the little guys (and gals)", and want to keep the big money sellers. Somewhere I read that eBay could lay off 4,500 people if they didn't have to settle the troubles of small sellers. However, eBay claims that they want to keep every dollar they can possible make of anyone who wants to sign in.

With eBay Motors about to "spin off" from the main site, and GM making deals with eBay Motors to sell it's used cars thru the online giant - not to mention WalMart wants to sell NEW cars on eBay - who's to say where this mess will end up?

Will we go to Craig's List, or some other new effort will sprout up? I just want it to hurry up and resolve itself, but of course.......

Reply to
zoombot

I missed that one, Matthew, thanks...I have been REAL busy lately and just can't read everything... I still want to know what peope think about adding a FEE for using paypal....I didn't use it until recently when a buddy convinced me that I would get higher and more bids if I used it. What a mistake, I may even dump it entirely. I went years without it anyway... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

I do believe that Ebay has a definite rule against adding a PayPal fee or surcharge. I think (iirc) I had an auction of mine killed off for doing that... Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Rice

M&H forum????????? JF

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

So you're against paying 3% when it probably increases your sales by 20%? I've not bid on items because they didn't take PayPal. PayPal is great, instant payment, not having to hold items until checks clear, not having to go to the bank or post office to get money orders, etc...

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

I can't really see where it has increased my sales by that much. I am of the opinion that if someone wants it bad enough, they will get off their lazy butts and get a money order. Maybe a "handling fee"...instead of a paypal directed fee...could say to "email me for discount details"... I still think paypal is just another ripoff pain in the ass. I will continue to use it for now although I will probably get pissed and dump it in future. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Same thing with credit card companies. They will cancel your merchant account if they catch you adding a cc surcharge. JF

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

If you don't like PayPal, don't use it and don't accept it. Simple enough. Hell you can tell people that you want hand delivered cash... see how that affects the bidding numbers.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Same thing with credit card companies. They will cancel your merchant account if they catch you adding a surchage for cc sales. JF

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Really? I see that fairly often.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

I see that REAL often. Maybe the "catching" merchants doing that is the hard part...I have a friend who has a prosperous little shop and he charges a fee every time that plastic comes out. Most people PAY it.... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

I didn't say it isn't done. I said "If they catch you". When a body opens a merchant account he signs a contract stating that he wont charge a surcharge (probably in the fine print, but it's there). I guess I'm old school, if I enter into a contract, I will abide to that contract. Look on any of my business cards and you will see "All you gotta do is "Say what you're gonna do and Do what you said"" JF

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

For $60 a month I can get set up to accept CC's..

in 19 years, lost 5 sales totaling probably $125 cause i WONT take CC's.

lets see, $720 times 19 years=$13,680... NO WAY would that make a case to take CC's FOR ME.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

For free you can get set up with PayPal and accept credit cards... but still have to pay the 3% fee.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Reply to
James

Sheesh, all this goes back to what I said... Less is better...no paypal...no extra paperwork or "trail"... No fees... NO fees.. So what if you don't squeeze that extra nickel out of your part...less headache is worth $$$$$ in MY book... Dumping paypal is starting to look better and better...and I know a couple vendors that I have bought from over and over again...NO paypal... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Some magazine publishe an article about E-Bay's potential strike of sellers. I cannot remember which on-line magazine. It was not a Blog or some such thing. In the article there was a re-print of an E-Bay/Pay-Pal rule, pertaining to feedbacks and Pay-Pal.

Under certain circunstances, if a seller does not leave a positive feedback for a buyer, Pay-Pal has the right to withold payment for 21 days or until feedback is left.

This afternoon I recieved an e-mail from E-bay asking me to fill out a questionaire. It asked which items I buy the most. Then it sent me more questions based on the items I said I either buy or sell.

For the two major catagories I entered it asked questions about would I like other E-bay buyers to know what I am bidding on, would I like my name and address posted in my sales, would I like my photograph shown, and would I like alerts when certain items I buy came up. It went on for about 8 pages.

From what I gather from read> Less is better...no paypal...no extra paperwork or "trail"...

Reply to
Bill Glass

Why is dumping PayPal better? All it costs you is 3% if the buyer wants to use it. For me the $1.50 fee on a $50 sale it's not worth having to go to the bank and stand in line to deposit the check, especially when I'd burn a gallon of gas round trip. That's less headache to me.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud