OT: Which 3g phones have built in GPS?

Once I'm back at work, I'm going to replace my phone with something a=20 little lighter than the Z1010 brick I bought 2 years ago.

However, the drone staff in T-mobile and Orange don't know their HSPDA=20 Arses from their UMTS elbows.=20

A lot of them are doing bundles with TomTom as part of the package. And everyone knows the XDA/MDA/SPV PDA phones are all rebadged clone=20 phones.

And the sales staff all swear that the MDA Vario II and the SPV M3100=20 both can be bought with and without bundles GPS software, but contain=20 the GPS hardware built in so you don't need anything else.

But, when searching, it looks like they all need bluetooth GPS units to=20 do what the sales staff state is already built in.

The only built in one appears to be the old Motorolla A1000. And that is=20 on crappy 3.

I was stunned in the orange shop though when I asked about upgrades. =A349 on an small anytime taffif, or =A3110 on a bigger inclusive evenings= =20 package. but if me, loyal customer already paying for a high minutes 3g=20 contract wants to upgrade to an SPV M3100 (not including the GPS bundle)=20 =A3200. Yup =A3200. I told her, it would be cheaper getting a new contract,= =20 and probably better terms, going else where and getting it cheaper=20 still, or better yet, buying one BNIB on Ebay from one of the shops that=20 sell pre-unlocked new phones.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Primal Scream-Loaded

Elder

However, the drone staff in T-mobile and Orange don't know their HSPDA Arses from their UMTS elbows.

A lot of them are doing bundles with TomTom as part of the package. And everyone knows the XDA/MDA/SPV PDA phones are all rebadged clone phones.

And the sales staff all swear that the MDA Vario II and the SPV M3100 both can be bought with and without bundles GPS software, but contain the GPS hardware built in so you don't need anything else.

But, when searching, it looks like they all need bluetooth GPS units to do what the sales staff state is already built in.

The only built in one appears to be the old Motorolla A1000. And that is on crappy 3.

I was stunned in the orange shop though when I asked about upgrades. £49 on an small anytime taffif, or £110 on a bigger inclusive evenings package. but if me, loyal customer already paying for a high minutes 3g contract wants to upgrade to an SPV M3100 (not including the GPS bundle) £200. Yup £200. I told her, it would be cheaper getting a new contract, and probably better terms, going else where and getting it cheaper still, or better yet, buying one BNIB on Ebay from one of the shops that sell pre-unlocked new phones.

Reply to
Ronny

Mmmm, saw the n95 on the gadget show, looks good.....2.5 hrs talk time is a tad disappointing though 'cos all said and done, *it's a phone*

Reply to
Ken (the sane one)

It looks quite funky, but I aways find Nokia phones a bit "plasticky" in their shell material. SE phones have felt the most solid, with Seimens and Motorolla close behind.

It looks like if you unlock and upgrade the rom, the Orange SPV M700, or HTC P3600 has built in GPS but the rom upgrades are unnofficial.

Reply to
Elder