Paging the Saab-isti

Don't get too excited, I'm not buying a Saab.

However, I've found out that the 164 Auto shares it's box with the Saab

9000.

Do any of the Saab-isti out there have experience of said gearbox? - I'm particularly interested in the longevity of it....

Reply to
SteveH

In saabs it probably runs for ever

In alfas it probably runs for cover.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Don't the high spec auto 9000's run less power as standard than the manuals because the box can't take it? Gearboxes seem to be older Saabs main weakness.

Reply to
DanTXD

The 9000 box is a 4-speed ZF AFAIK, but lifespan is variable, some can do

200K, others need expensive repairs at 80-100K.....

Later saabs use a toyota box that lasts forever.

Reply to
john

No idea, but it's an off the shelf ZF box, so I can't see any reason to detune the car for it.

Reply to
SteveH

That was what I was worried about, however, if a box has made it to 120k miles, in general, it should be fine, then?

Reply to
SteveH

Just do the usual checks when test driving, make sure it kicks down, doesn't hunt, uses all the gears etc and then don't use the brakes for hard launches ;)

Reply to
DanTXD

100-120k appears to be the turning point.

Have a browse through

At that mileage they could very well be still working but ready for death. What is the fluid like? Has it ever been changed?

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Auto Aero is just a CSE with Aero suspension and interior. Manual Aero is a CSE with Aero suspension, interior, ECU and turbo. The auto boxes in the 9000 won't handle the torque that a 2.3 Saab engine with the Aero ECU and the Aero turbo produce.

Although they quite easily could, Saab didn't reckon it to last. For Maptun upgrades, while the manuals can go up to stage 6 (400+BHP), I think Maptun will only sell you a reprogrammed Auto ECU upto stage 2 or stage 3. So they reckon it is a week point longevity wise.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Don't know - the car has service history, but there's no way of knowing if the fluid has been changed or not.

It's about what I thought, and was the reason I was a bit wary of it.

I suppose I should look for the same car, but with a manual box.

(N plate 164 Super Lusso V6.... climate, electric seats etc, 120k miles, FSH, £999 ono)

Reply to
SteveH

Alfa do.

I know the 164 12v manual was about 10 bhp more than the auto, but tuned more for power than torque, the Auto had more torque, but less power.

Reply to
Pete M

Hadn't noticed that in the spec sheet.

Anyway, you're the man who tends to know this stuff.... are those boxes likely to give trouble?

Reply to
SteveH

If it is black and smells burnt (or just smells burnt) it might be the end of the line for it.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2