Didn't know Honda did many Diesels in the 90's

Rover 200 / 400 SDI engine, innit.

Reply to
SteveH

One of my mates had one as a company car back then.

It was a bit agricultural in the old engine stakes. The rest was typical Honda - in a good way.

At the right price, I would. Purely because you'll rarely see another - I like that sort of thing.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

You see them all over the place.

It's just that they usually come with stick on chrome tat and a Rover badge.

Reply to
SteveH

They were rare. Honda didn't sell many and dropped diesels in the late 90s from their range. They re-introduced a diesel into the Civic using a variant of the Isuzu 1.7 donk as found in GM stuff (redesigned multivalve head, as I recall).

Then they changed something, made something, made something better with their 2.2 diesel, which really is a work of art.

Anyway, back to this Civic, as Bob and SteveH have said, this is the Rover donk. Not very quiet but performs well (I remember the fuss caused by the Rover 200 diesel being quicker to 62 than a 2.0 Mondeo heh) and is economical too.

It won't be as comfortable as the Saab but it'll use 90% of the diesel.

Reply to
DervMan

Yes, I knew that. But you don't often see them with a Honda badge.

Or did you not get that bit ?...

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Well, I seem to recall something from way back when about those actually being built by Rover and not by Honda. Badge engineering at it's worst - especially as a Rover version could probably be bought for less.

Reply to
SteveH

I think the civic was only available with the non-intercooled 82BHp version of the rover lump. You would frankly be better getting a rover

400 with the 105BHp version. It's a nice engine, if you don't mind a bit of diesel growl...
Reply to
Albert T Cone

It's a great engine, worked really well in the 600. Indeedy come to think of it, also worked well in the Maestro Clubman TD. :)

Reply to
DervMan

ITYF they hated something, changed something, hated something, changed something, made something better.... :-)

And as for the Rover TD engines..... you've just reminded me that I've wanted either a Rover 200/400 TD (only the 105bhp version) or a Maestro TD for quite a while now....

Reply to
AstraVanMan