'Performance' brake pads

fifth amendment???

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

No matter what you claim about your road driving, it's absolutely nowhere near the abuse a car gets on a track.

Reply to
SteveH

There's no trees on the runoff on most tracks...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Mintex 1144s are brilliant.

Reply to
Pete M

Heh, in the middle of the night there's still some bloody fast places. Not race track pace places, more tarmac rally pace.

Trust me on the Mintex 1144s. I had them on my Mk5 RS2000 and they were brilliant. As Tim says, blue discs and very smokey but a 100 mile cross country dash on twisties and B roads is the equivalent of a lot of reasonably good track laps, brake wise.

Set of tarmac rally spec discs and sticky tyres on a well set up road car used to be immense fun. Late '80s and early 90's following the RAC rally around the UK in rally prepped Mk2 RS Escorts, Integrales, Cosworths, Corolla GTis and the like in the middle of the night, lots of quick cars, driven sensibly quickly but by people who knew how to drive properly. The convoys from North Wales up to Grizedale, then across to Kielder, down to Dalby and back to Chester in a couple of days leapfrogging the Rally cars around the country were some of the most memorable drives I've ever had, until around '95 the only weeks of the year I'd not work would be the 2nd and 3rd weeks in November.

Used to take a week off to prepare the car, 4 days to follow the rally, then a couple of days to repair the car and sleep.

Reply to
Pete M

Aren't greens the ones with the disturbing habit of the pad seperating from the backplate... ?

Reply to
Lordy.UK

"Pete M" wrote in message news:f3t6pd$1od$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

That sounds like a good larf :-)

Reply to
Iridium

"Pete M" wrote in message news:f3t6pd$1od$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

Man, I wish I was a bit older! Would have loved to be involved in that! I've done the Rally GB a couple of time which involved driving a few of the stages (awesome fun) but that's not quite the same - a bit lame in comparison in fact :(

Might try and get involved in the Roger Albert Clark this year though. Maybe take the SD1 on tour!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

The set I had just rippped to bits. Big lumps fell out of the pad surface. May have been better if I had new discs.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Strange... most of us "old blokes" wish for some years younger.

;-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Mmmmmm... confidence inspiring !

May have been better if they weren't some of the wankiest pads around, by all accounts :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

That's the only downside with a lot of these performance pads...hellishly abrasive.

Reply to
Conor

They were on my car when I got it so can't really comment on the life but they lasted about 5000 miles from about half worn including a track day. I didn't have any brake fade issues on the track and they got bloody hot but it did wear them down a lot though (a couple of mm). The only problem was they weren't great cold but liveable with. I'll certainly be putting another set on for my next track day but at £120 they're overkill for road use.

Reply to
James Grabowski

Well, I found out that I could get Yellows at a reasonable price, so I'm going to try them.

I take my toolkit to trackdays, so if I get any major issues, I can always swap back to the OEMs.

Reply to
SteveH