Petrol Density

I have it in my head that petrol has a density of around 70% that of water. One litre of petrol weighs 700g, ish.

Anyway somebody emailed me to ask if a higher octane fuel is heavier... I don't know. Might be because of the higher proportion of hydrocarbons or something .

Anybody?

Reply to
DervMan

It's very variable Have a look at these

Temperature is more important. So for a car, always buy your fuel in the morning :-)

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

The fuel is stored well underground where the temperature stays near constant.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

may be a problem in Iceland though. The country, not the shop.

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

The temperature underground stays constant anywhere - if you go deep enough. Hell fire rools.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Actually there is a slight variation see:

" ... temperatures approximately followed the ambient air temperatures throughout a daily cycle. "

But yes it won't make a blind bit of difference to a car only taking on only

20 lts.

(Note the smiley)

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

Usually it is denser: 750g vs 740g ish. Leaded petrol was less dense.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Keeps the fuel mixture right though init?

As the day and the fuel warm up the car breathes in less air cos its less dense. And adds less fuel cos its less dense too!

Reply to
Burgerman