Pikey tyres

What's the general consensus - are there any half decent ones I can use to hold the arse end of the Panzerwagen off the tarmac?

I don't feel like shelling out £120 plus for another pair of NCT5s.

Reply to
SteveH

I've used Nankang cheapy performance tyres in the past, they're OK.

Depends what size though..

Cheers Mike P

Reply to
Mike P From the North

195/65VR15.

Common size on mid-sized cars these days, but bloody expensive.

Reply to
SteveH

don't use nankang if you're running a few amount of power and get a bit 'dedicated' into bends, especially in an MR2 turbo, friend of mind kindly found that info out :) save money anywhere else but NEVER skimp on tyres is a rule i live on!

Reply to
Vamp

Yeah, I've always lived by that rule in the past, but, it's my commuter hack and I'm thinking cheap(er) tyres would be a good thing..... the 75 needs some new boots in a couple of weeks in it's preparation as a track car.

Thinking about it - I've just noticed we've got a new spanner monkey type back street tyre and exhaust place locally, I'll have to see if he'll fit tyres I buy online. Probably order a pair of Colway remoulds for the rear of the 75 and not have to worry about wearing them out too quickly on the track.

Reply to
SteveH

Nah

best site ever :)

Nankangs 26.50 for yours, just choose where you want them fitted, you could go cheaper, and buy Goodride :)

Reply to
Ronny

That's for H rated, I know I'll never actually need V rated, but it saves the insurance pissing me about if I ever make a claim.

Reply to
SteveH

Was going to sugegst a set of Colways for the Passat too, especially for the back. You are only dragging it about as dead weight anyway, aren't you?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Hehehe. Not entirely convinced by that point of view. It's a little lively on damp roads with the tyres only a mil or so off the wear makers.....

But, aye, not a bad idea. *If* I can find someone to fit 'em locally.

Reply to
SteveH

Whatever i gave ATC on the front of the 405 - Federals I think? They gripped like shit to a blanket. Way better than the Hankook Ventus Sports, and Fulda Extremos.

Reply to
DanTXD

Bit OT but what have you done/will do to the car from standard to prepare it for track day/racing? I wouldn't have thought there wouldn't be much of a requirement except of course a helmet and mot certificate unless you were thinking about entering into some sort of semi professional/league...etc type situation?

Why wouldn't they? It only costs me £5 to change a set (but then again they don't stock tyres that cost more than £40 each) at our local garage but my family have spent allot of money there I guess and I know a couple of the mechanics well. Still I can't see why they wouldn't unless of course they are especially narrow minded, holding it against you for not buying the tyres from them...

Reply to
REMUS

Anything Z-Rated.

I've never had any problems whatsoever with pikey tyres, as we've discussed many times :)

Reply to
Nom

Why bother ?

He'll match the online prices with ease ! Go down and see him. I can't get tyres any cheaper online than I can from .

Reply to
Nom

I use a guy called Kev and he can get ANY type / size of tyre cheaper than anywhere I can find

he ships them in from europe and can have them with you in 5 days

if you want his number email me : joyrider AT hotmail DOT com

Reply to
joyrider

Strip out the rest of the interior that isn't needed. Add a cage if you think it necessary. Remove any sound deading you can stand to lose. Take out the spare and tool kit. Replace the opening glass and winder mechanisms with fixed or manual sliding lexan. Lose the radio, speakers, wiring. Lose the dash, and just leave a speedo/rev counter and idiot lights cut into an icecream tub (paint it black if fashion conscious). Remove door cards, replace with very thin sheet metal or carbon fibre. Take a small hole saw to the door and body bracing, take a die grinder with a flap wheel to the indside of door and body panels if they don't wave in the wind there is too much metal left. Remove bonnet latch, and hinges and most of the support frame work (hole saw like you did with the support bracing for the doors. Fix with bonnet pins and slide fixings or spikes at the rear. Park the wipers vertically up the screen (aerodynamics), throw away any rear wash wipe fittings, motors, pumps and tubing how far do you want to go. Every 10pounds in weight chucked is one free BHP in the power/weight ratio and really you need to make up for the added weight of the cage, so you need to reduce what is hung off it.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Try

to the colway site, for south wales this who to buy from.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Heh - you and me both seem to need new tyres at the same time - mine seem to have shot up in price /again/

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Oooh, cheers.

I'll stick some on both cars, then.

Reply to
SteveH

I'll take that as a complement..

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It wasn't meant to be either really :)

The way I see it, ~300bhp is quick, ~200bhp is medium-quick, and less is dog-slow. Obviously those figures need adjustment if your car is made of uranium/baked-bean-tins :)

Reply to
Nom