Ping: Elder

Just because you don't actually give a toss about driving, doesn't mean the rest of us do.....

Face it, you've given up on driving pleasure for the Saab, which is typically 'safe' for a number cruncher.

'LPG' isn't a valid suggestion. Ticking the 320d box might be. Picking something that's within the guidelines, but not within the spirit, but significantly more interesting than any of your euroboxes is probably the way forward, and a f*ck load more interesting than the placebo effect of the difference between 95 and 98 RON fuel with a LPT lump.

Reply to
SteveH

I'm finding this quite amusing, carry on!

Reply to
Pete M

Cant be lower calorific value.

EG when you convert a bike/car motor to run on a lower calorific value fuel you have to increase jet sizes accordingly or melt something!

Petrol for EG has around 15700 calories per lb of fuel. Methanol has 7200 per lb, So to jet your car or bike properly you would start with a jet that flows roughly 2.2 times as much fuel. Which turns out to be about right in practice.

Reply to
Burgerman

Could this be the start of a long and beautiful relationship?

Steve and Dervy, sitting up a tree.......

Reply to
AstraVanMann

"DervMan" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

A 1.8 Vectra...?

Ah, memories, eh, Dervy?

Be fair, it was the Primula that was a "devastatingly fast cross-country missile"...

Since I'm meeting Steve for a pint tomorrow evening (anybody else near Berkhamsted?), I hope you're not holding your breath too hard.

Reply to
Adrian

"SteveH" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Volvo C30... Merc CLC....

(Saw a CLC the other day. Fuck. It's even worse in the flesh)

Same difference, innit?

Ah, he's been driving petrols for most of the time I've been posting - remember the Ka?

Reply to
Adrian

C30 was never an option.

V50 was. 2.0D R-Design SE Sport Geartronic, too....

In a way, yes, I suppose.

The problem was that I was getting a double-whammy on both paying extra for the car and some quite incredible tax rates, which would have seen me massively out of pocket on the deal.

How can we forget - it was the bestest car that had ever been produced back then ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

"SteveH" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The most damning one is... Message-ID: "I like the C30. If the D5 Auto pops up on our revised list, I'm having one."

Then you were trying to talk Dan into one... Message-ID: "Can't you get a C30 diesel? Would be well worth it for your everyday car, IMHO."

Reply to
Adrian

Fair enough.

I do like them, 'cos the idea of a 180bhp 5-pot, even a diesel 5-pot with paddle shifters does appeal in a car as small as the C30. They do look quite good in R-Design trim, too.

Seriously, though, I'm a bit torn - can't find a decent V6 Alfa with low miles, under 5 years old *and* an autobox. Loads of Volvo S60s out there in various trims - a T5 Auto would be ideal in SE spec., and I've also thought about the last shape 5-series in 525i Sport trim.

Fuck knows what to buy - I'm feeling like a kid in a sweet shop with a tenner in their hand....

The killer was the 'reasonable' quote from HR, as all plans for something with a big V8 were killed at that point, same with my colleague who was planning an S-Type R.

I suppose a 2.5 Legacy RE would do the job.

Reply to
SteveH

I still regret selling ours, if I'm honest...

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

No, that's not it.

Reply to
DanB

The Vee hated the BP one, Ultimate is it? Was indifferent to Sainsburys one, just behaved like 95, ditto the Total one, loved V-Power and wasn't sure about Tescos 99.

Reply to
DanB

My god after I left the showroom I thought the end day had come a lot earlier. I've driven a golf cart that was more entertaining than that Swedish shit. If that's honestly the best thing they can try and tempt the 'younger and fun generation' in with they should just give up now and accept that they're only going to be selling to old people and boring people. I admit I was passing it consideration - now it's just a laughable memory hehehe :-) I'm not even sure what engine the one I drove was, I couldn't even tell you if it was a petrol or a diesel to be honest. Maybe it was the

2.0d? I dunno :-)
Reply to
DanB