project car for newbie

I think the best way of learning about cars would be to get a project car ?

I'm a complete novice, learned most things from books, web and here.

But thought of finding "fixer-upper" which will give me ample time to get my hands dirty and learn how everything works, without worrying if i'm stuffing somthing up.

Just wondering what typre of cars I should look for. And where to look for them maybe an auction ?

Whats the law say if I'm not driving the car, does it need tax and to be delcared off the road ?

Be a nice summer winter time project.

Any ideas welcomed. Cheers

Reply to
James_sutton

How about a Capri, very simple loads of room to work on everything and you don't stand much chance of making anything worse than when it left the factory.

You will need to SORN (Statutary Off Road Notification) it basicly it's declaring it off the road or keep it taxed.

Reply to
Depresion

If only there were someone selling a Capri nearby...

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

[...]

I'd think you'd get better value and *slightly* more modernity to learn from with a Sierra...

In any case something largish and RWD with the smallest - block rather than capacity - engine will be far more spacious to work on than anything with a transverse FWD set-up and everything you learn in full sight will serve you well when guddling with double jointed wrists in one of today's densely packed engine bays.

If you want to future-proof your skills spend at least as much time on the electronics as the oilys - it's not more complex, just less approachable - and hone your driving to allow you to isolate small problems in the cars whole set-up.

Mostly - have fun! :)

Alistair J Murray

Ugh, Sierra body engineering. Clever, but not something I'd want to learn on for fixing. Capri bodies are so simple a five-year old could understand them.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK
[...]

Are they horrid? How?

I was thinking that you got a fairly complete set of oily bits in an easily accessible format...

Alistair J Murray

Body engineering; the mechanicals are fine, but the Sierra's body is more sophisticated and therefore, a lot more involved to work on for restoration - and most of 'em are showing signs of rot, especially interesing ones like XR4is.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK