Re: A pox on...

No they were the shape before that werent they? That shape had the lil' V6 as the top of the range engine i think

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Thats what I mean. his was a 1.6 FWD, but the only 4WD's I have seen have been the short hatch ones with normal lights.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

If it means so little to you that you can't be bothered to spend as little as £60 on a Thatcham Cat2 to protect it - which someone will even come to your house to fit for you - what's the point in getting upset about it... ?

Reply to
Lordy

I would have known the ideal motor for you - a mate of mine was going to sell his Vectra GLS (red, P reg, 1996 model - Mk1, 2.5V6) - he'd just spent £900 getting the head rebuilt (24 new valves) as the cambelt went on it, and was selling it for £1500 for a quick sale, but some shit nicked it.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That's right... you just make me feel that bit more confident about buying a Vectra... :-P

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

LOL! Yeah, that was it, you wanted something not that likely to get nicked, and hopefully reliable!

Seriously though, if you get one with a fsh and that's had the improved (supposedly) tensioners etc. fitted it should be a good buy, and the 2.5V6s are rather rapid (I've heard other people say other things, but I reckon they're pretty quick).

FWIW it only needed all 24 valves replacing because like a plonker he kept on turning the engine over trying to start it (until he realised....)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Can often be - in this case though, he went out to Oz with his fiance (an Aussie - to meet the family etc.) and came back wanting to emigrate out there!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Aye.. but they're a complete PITA to work on according to 'he who knows', so whilst I'd like a V6, I think I'll stick with getting this 16v one off my mates brother - partly because if it's anything like the Ecotec Cav SRi I had last year, it'll be quite good on juice for the size of car, and partly because I know where this one has been since new.

Doh!

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

"Richard Kilpatrick" wrote;

You really are a clue-less fucknut.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven

He has a very good point.

Last time I had an immobiliser problem, it too the RAC all of 10 minutes to bypass it.

Made me wonder if they are worth having.

Reply to
SteveH

*ding*

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

"SteveH" wrote;

half-trained

Look at it sensibly Steve, the RAC are fully qualified mechanic's the local thief is some worthless piece of shit, he breaks into your car and even if he matches the competence of the RAC and bypasses the Imob in 10 minutes won't your alarm have either alerted you (or someone else) to the attempted theft or distracted him enough to leg it?

Steven.

Reply to
Steven

He is; from a position of experience, rather than whatever a mate of a mate told you one night when you were wasted in some underage drinking den...

Look, go find yourself a nice crowd of thieving gipsy bastards to hang out with for a few evenings... I've known enough over the years to know exactly how they operate, and how easy it is for them to get round anything bar the best systems.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

"JackH" wrote;

Interesting...

By best I suppose you mean ones that work, rather than the cheap shit you have fitted?

Steven,

Reply to
Steven

"Richard Kilpatrick" wrote;

No, just a problem with clueless fucknuts who post about things they have no clue about and then go quiet or lose topic when it gets sticky.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven

The ones that are Thatcham approved, and therefore have passed the same tests as anything else that is approved by them regardless of the cost of the unit, with their approval being the only one insurers in this country will consider?

Seriously, it doesn't matter what you have fitted, if they want it, they'll have it, a big trust me on this one.

Change the attitudes and apply some real police weight to the problem, rather doing the bare minimum to try and give the impression they're doing 'something' about the problem

-- JackH

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Aye, BMW notably.

So that's why they'll have your keys away instead... or they'll come equipped with... (I would tell you, but then I'd have to kill you) ;-)

Ahem, assuming they were happy to just break it up, rather than ring it or whatever, it isn't that hard to have anything away, even stuff with combined ECU / Immobilisers.

I'll agree though, it makes it far less likely to happen.

Which BMW was the first to have this type of system fitted?

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Those cars are expensive enough that driving off isn't really an option; they'll steal it by either breaking into your house and stealing the card/key/bionic implant[1] or whatever needed to start it. Or by dragging it off on a low-loader.

If someone wants something badly enough, and are criminally minded enough, they'll steal it no matter what you do. The UK is fortunate in that there aren't too many carjackings - a real problem in the US and South Africa.

Doesn't alter the fact that on an older car, the insurance industry requires the fitment of a simple device from a restricted list of 'approved' manufacturers, with minimal control over the actual installer

- making the average thief's life very easy.

Richard [1] For the short of brain - that means you, Steve - I know cars don't come with bionic implants to start them yet.

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

ISTR that the Fiat Group were one of the pioneers of this system

I _think_ their transponder-key CODE system was introduced about 11 or

12 years back now.
Reply to
SteveH

You're presumably referring to the thread where you brag about being the sort of worthless shit who wants to shoot cats. Yeah, I know when to let it go.

FWIW, I know that for all my faults, I have a good sense of where the line is, and when not to cross it. I'm not about to shoot anyone, though I know I am more than capable of it. You're a member of the huntin' & shootin' 'fraternity' - or at least claim to be - and yet have to cover yourself when you don't know what a Wildcat is, and don't think cats catch rabbits (but do think that "dog's" can). You can't decide if I'm a Yorkshireman or a country bumpkin; I sell advertising, don't have a regional accent, and don't own a flat cap or a whippet.

Essentially, I know I'm a total psychopath, and I keep it inside and haven't hurt anyone for about 13 years; and I don't generally take pride in it.

So. You win. Go take pride in killing small animals. You're a big man, Steve, smart and manly. Your extensive knowledge of guns must be because of your impressive manhood. The only reason I know what guns I've used is because I've been told what they were, and I know all I need to - which end not to point at me, and which bit to push. I think most two year olds can grasp that bit and don't feel the need to say that /their/ guns are better.

So, bought yourself a Corvette yet?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick