Re: Anti-perculation fans

This is aimed primarily at R5GTTurbo and Maestro turbo owners... >

> There is a fan which blows cool air onto the carb, so prevent > vapourisation; does it run all the time, or does it only run when the > engine is turned off? Having trouble with a retro fit and been told > that this is one of my problems...Just want to get it right!

I'm possibly talkin s**te but it srays on for 30 seconds after the engine is switched off if its over a certain temp.

-- Chet

Chet

Friend has one on his Lancia Y10 Turbo.

Some timer switch runs the coolant round the system and blows air on the carb for 4 minutes or something. Why it isn't acting as a turbo timer as well beats me

vapourisation;

Reply to
Fishman

Because then your engine would be running for four minutes after you turn it off ! If it's pumping coolant all the way round the system, then it's cooling the Turbo too - but how is it driving the water-pump with the engine off ? Electric pump ?

Turbo Timers are a complete waste of time. Just take it easy in the last few minutes of your journey, so the Turbo's not glowing red when you stop, for the same effect. You oughtta get at least 80,000 miles from one Turbo, so it's not really worth going to any trouble to lengthen it's life.

Reply to
Nom

For the record, as far as I'm aware, mine is the original oil only cooled T3, and the car has just passed 124k.

Reason I reckon that it is original is that replacement usually get either a watercooled T3, or the smaller Watercooled Mitsu from the later models (the Water cooled T3s give good grunt, the Mitsus give less power but less lag, and a smoother transition onto boost)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

The 19/Clio 16v's have a second electric pump that pumps the coolant around for ~2 minutes if its too hot when switched off.

Needless to say mine doesn't work...

-- Chet

Chet

snip

I always take it /really/ easy (i.e. 15-20 mph) when I get to the village where I live, so it

a) allows the turbo time to cool

b) confuses the fuckwits that drive round the village at 40, yet shake their fists at me when I overtake them at [speed censored] mph.

;-)

Reply to
Jamesy