Re: Anyone ever bought an ex police vehicle?

Saw a piece on a proggie some time ago so details/memory are sketchy but

> one thing I definitely remember is that they have twice as much > servicing, ie, if a particular cars service schedule is every 9k, > police do them every 4.5k.

If you read that schedule carefully you'll probably find the servicing requirements are different for arduous use. And Mr Plod ain't going to wait for the engine to warm properly if on a shout. Etc.

Other thing I'm willing to bet is they don't use the approved oil on their BMWs etc - just a good general purpose one for all their vehicles.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Do they ever _get_ cold?

Reply to
Adrian

Hence the Met. cars now being silver. The police using white killed that colour for private use - sadly.

So many include 'free' servicing these days it might not make any difference. I've had a few ex lease cars and they've all been apparently well maintained.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One of the advice sites I read said they only use original everything parts, so genuine bm parts, genuine bm spec fluids, and if it has Pirelli/Avon/Goodyear from new, that is what it gets for its life before being retired.

Reply to
Elder

I've been in the Merton garage and that looked to have only a couple of oil dispensers. I really doubt they use the maker's recommendation on every single car they have - they'd be forever in Halfords. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

strathclyde police get their mercs serviced by the local MB main dealer up here ?????????????

god knows why as they have their own fully equipped workshops

but hey how taxpayers cash and all

Reply to
Rob

I wouldn't bank on that either, I've met two people now who get "better value" on their lease cars by going non-maint, and "correcting" the mileage before servicing them once a year.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I disagree. Merc trucks supply their oil and coolant in large drums, as do DAF and any other lorry manufacturer that has "special brew" fluids.

I doubt that the main dealers get theirs in 5l cans.

Reply to
Conor

Methinks you missed the sarcasm in Dave's post....

Though only having two big oil dispensers could potentially work for a large proportion of models. In most handbooks I've read, there's been a whole host of different viscosities recommended for any one particular engine (well, I say a whole host - often more than just the one, certainly) - so it could well be that just a couple come within the specs for 95% of engines that they change the oil on, and for the rest, they could either use smaller drums, or just get it through the supplier that supplies the parts department that sells the 5L cans to Joe Public.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

I didn't really think they did - it was a joke. Allegedly. But if you consider the range of vehicles the Met run and service, that's a lot of large drums to stock.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)