Re: Is it just me...

There comes a point where you should buy a 160 hehe ;-) Can you not just add all the 160 bits on or is it different internals? Although if you have

160bhp at the wheels, what's that, 180 at the fly? What's the FR TDi as standard, 130bhp?

I must admit, the 204bhp one was a little happy to spin up at the front heh. I do seem to recall him telling me the front tyres were near the end of their life though, and it was a bit damp.

Reply to
DanB

I'll try and find out what ECU they fitted recently down the unit to a Clio Cup (full on track version, that is), was, and whether or not it's useable on a road spec car.

I believe they got quite big gains out of it anyway, given it's an NA.

The Clio Cups have always ran virtually road car engines with sealed ECUs - although I beleieve they are blueprinted to ensure a level playing field. Also, they run a different airbox (the previous shape Clio Cup cars used an Espace V6 box - a lot of ClioSporters have the same setup fitted with ITG filters inside) and exhaust (no cats of course) set up. So they make

205bhp, yet do 0-100 in 12 seconds or something as they just have so much grip, and are of course quite light. Probably over 200bhp/tonne.

The brakes are the same as the road car too - so there's an area I don't need to fiddle with heh. The general consensus also seems to be, you can't improve on the cup chassis suspensions standard setup as well. So people fit H&R/Eibach springs, coupled, with 15mm spacers on the wheels to make them fill the arches. I must admit, they do look good, but I could never bring myself to do an easthetic mod than compromised some aspect of the performance just for looks heh.

Reply to
DanB

There are only a couple of bits different, the 160 has a FMIC and a slightly bigger turbo. I have a Pace FMIC and I'd probably need to swap to one of them for big power and the 160 turbo isn't that big.

Should be about that.

Once the fronts start to slip the turbo will spool right up on them (you would hope better with the variable vain geometry but if anything it seems to make it worse), and that just compounds the problem. That problem is my biggest quinsy, do I keep heeding for a big turbo and spend all my time thinking is it going to break traction or do I veer off to the people at Quaife and have them fit an ATB and put the turbo off? Or do the sensible thing stop playing with it and buy something that's faster as standard like a nice Turbo R.

Still I actually enjoyed sitting behind the caravan and lorry earlier on as I knew it meant I'd get to overtake, and I've really grown to like that massive wave of torque.

Reply to
Depresion

.

Although a factory prepped Cup, this one is being raced in the Britcar series IIRC, so a slightly different ball game to the restrictions of the Clio Cup series.

I didn't really look at that side of things when it was down the unit... I was too busy admiring the funky digital dash. ;-)

I suppose I'd be doing that if I lowered the Passat onto 18s... my mate has done this with his Mk4 Golf estate and the ride is bloody crap, hence another of my reservations about doing this kind of thing to mine.

Reply to
jackhackettuk

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... On 15 Jul, 00:11, "DanB" wrote:

I suppose I'd be doing that if I lowered the Passat onto 18s... my mate has done this with his Mk4 Golf estate and the ride is bloody crap, hence another of my reservations about doing this kind of thing to mine.

Reply to
DanB

Should be.

I've already got someone coming over to drop off an aftermarket exhaust for the trackday shed.

Reply to
Timo Geusch