Re: top gear on now incase you forget!

That is powershifting. You could if you judge the revs right do it without the clutch at all. If you double clutch you would just bounce off the limiter in the time that the engine was free running while you lift the clutch pedal and replant it and change gear.

Double clutching/de-clutching (heard it called both) is normally used on down shifts, normally with a rev blip to match gear speeds.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

"Nom" wrote

Because they are selling 10% of their cars to people who like to drive, and

90% to people who are flash gits with a carpet showroom in huddersfield?
Reply to
fishman

The Jag, that I just sold on Ebay, was my first time driving and owning an automatic car. Most of the time, particularly from resting or having come out of a corner, it accelerated very nicely but there were times at mid speeds where it didn't drop down when I thought it should and instead just accelerated in the gear it was in. This left me wanting my Ti's manual box for that surefire control.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

God, remember the outcry when they offered the 456GTA - the Automatic model? That was what, 1994 or so...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Except... If you care about image (and you probably do, if you're buying a Ferrari instead of a cottage industry nuttermobile like the Radical), you're going to care about the very valid point Coogan made:

Stuck in a traffic jam in the Ferrari, you look like a right tit. Doesn't matter than the Ferrari is the better car; the Aston is the Grand Tourer, the Ferrari is the mid-life crisis and penis extension all rolled into a nice, handy package.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

That'll be a Mk IV, 2JZ engined one, though - just based on sheer numbers around it's a fair guess. I drive (and prefer the looks of) the Mk III, so that's the 1JZ. I reckon you can get 400bhp from one, but they're not overly reliable at that, 350bhp seems to be a fair goal with bits of Lexus and larger injectors.

I have heard that the auto is quicker, period, for the turbos if you powerbrake. I'm not entirely sure what powerbraking is, but it sounds like a good way of knackering your gearbox to me.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

In news:BDBE68AF.1E818% snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMbtconnect.com, Richard Kilpatrick decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Left foot on brake, right foot on throttle. Spool up the turbos, foot off brake and millenium falcon rivalling launch. Stall speed on the torque converter will be approx 2500 rpm, so plenty of scope for big boost take off.

Reply to
Pete M

About 1/2, maybe. It's not that fast, but it's quick enough - the important bit is now how much further down the road I got to that speed, it's how much further back the person tailgating me is now. And usually, it's far enough back that I can't tell what sort of car it is anymore ;)

3.0i Supra isn't fast fast, but the 30-70, 50-80 and the high end are better than most other cars on the road. Since we have a speed limit in this country, I'm happy with that.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

:D glad to hear it. I know supra's are a bit tasty.

Reply to
Johnny

Mmmm, according to my Supra bibles, you don't wanna be doing the stall loading on the auto for more than 6 seconds... Can't decide if this is better or worse for the gearbox than just dumping it in D at 2,500rpm, but it's surely going to make for a better takeoff.

I did think that might be it, but I wasn't sure - I wondered if perhaps some models did something weird if you braked when accelerating.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Whilst that was a class rant, I'm sad to report that someone has nicked my Turbo. And the pipework, and the badging, and modified the chassis number, dashboard and logbook to reflect it's new status as a regular 3.0i.

However, I shall remember my glory days of owning a troublesome, head gasket blowing Supra 3.0 Turbo with fondness.

*grin*

Richard (200bhp, 230bhp, it's all good).

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Which 'box did it have? The switchable sports ZF box and the later Mercedes boxes are impeccable, particularly those with lateral g sensors. Cars fitted with an autobox and CATS are better again.

The autoboxes fitted to the 3.6 engine behave as you indicate but you may have noticed that the car has a gear lever and if you want to accelerate hard in the midrange, change down a gear.

Reply to
Steve Firth

True. I reckon, though, my autobox is less clever. It has a regular hydraulic brain, despite the existence of a POWER button (whooo!).

Yeah - sports switches can be a mixed bag. The Scorpio does bugger all really, since my girlfriend drives like a maniac and the gearbox is of the fuzzy logic type that 'learns how you drive'. As long as it doesn't get a sense of self preservation and leave the car in a rush when she's late for work.

I found the XJ40 a little too.. What's the word... Gah. I like wide, low cars. I like RWD. I know in my heart that Jaguars are good. Yet the XJ40 just didn't come together at all; it seemed very indecisive about being a soft, luxury car, or a sports car. Some can do both - a Citroen XM, once you've overcome the initial oversteer, hangs on like mad whilst still absorbing speedbumps, dropped toddlers and small mammals; the Jaguar pitched awkwardly in left-right-left "That's Moi Farm and You Can't Go Through It" bends whilst also sending up jarring distress signals when you ran over a three day old vole corpse.

Richard (on the plus side, Pre 1990 XJ40s get lighter with every puddle you drive though).

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

That is an Irish term isn't it ?

------------------------------------------------ "We are all individuals" "I'm not!"

Reply to
Carl Smith

Didn't they finance the production of the cars with arms sales ?

I remember heard something about this years ago - I could be remembering it wrong of course, I have slept since then.

------------------------------------------------ "We are all individuals" "I'm not!"

Reply to
Carl Smith

I've driven a friend's 330i a few times. It's a lovely relaxing drive, and very easy to go too fast in. However, I found it rather hateful in the twisty stuff. Put your foot down, and it feels soggy compared to a manual. At the end of the day, it's all personal preference though. And, yes, I probably would consider an automatic as a cruising machine. In fact, I quite fancy a 330d/530d with an auto box.

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence

It was a '91 4.0 litre XJ40. It did have a sports mode, but as far as I could tell all that did was just allow the engine to rev higher in each gear.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

Oh OK, that's a decent box IMO. Shifting to sports mode makes it downshift faster than in Economy. There's a hack of inserting a variable resistor in place of the fixed value resistor used by ZF so that you can vary the shift points to suit your style of driving.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I had a play with the J-gate today, and it's much handier than sports mode. I'd definately have the auto in anything big with a decent amount of power. I'd still want a manual in anything "sporty" though. TBH, my ideal car would be two cars, an XJ/Bentley/Silver Shad and a Caterham / Elise / Radical / Insert small lightweight car here.

I know what you mean. It could do with being a bit firmer on the suspension.

Reply to
Doki

'ang on, are you suggesting you'd be less of a tit stuck in a traffic jam in a Radical?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp