Re: Top Gear survey 2005

> > > French cars are shit, German cars are getting worse, Japanese cars > > are best. > > And once again the survey shows what utter bollocks these things are: > > Prime example: > > VW Passat - 82nd > Skoda Superb - 4th. > > Very odd result considering the Superb is just a long wheelbase > Passat.

You are a prime example of someone who misinterprets data. Try reading the introduction, even just the first 3 paragraphs. If still struggling, ask for help.

Reply to
Bigbird

See my other reply.

No misinterpretation going on, just making the observation that the whole survey means very little.

People expect Skodas to be flimsy, shit and slow. If they perform in a merely average way then they'll get very strong results.

Unfortunately, this doesn't actually mean that they're any good.

FWIW, if I were choosing a company car, I'd go with the Superb every time.

Reply to
SteveH

You prob wouldn't though, the whole thing is a farce tbh, how many VW Passats are on the road compared to S200's, say 3 people rated the S200 against 500 rated the Passat does that make it a fair judgement?

Merc drivers already expect alot when they buy a Merc but Skoda owners expect nothing, that's why they buy a Skoda.They get in the car and think "f*ck me, this is nice"

If you gave a Skoda Octavia to an avid VW Passat driver he would be pissed right off, and the same goes for an Audi driver who gets a VW. Try giving the cars to other people then draw a comparison.

Same goes for the end of the list, how many people own a 807? maybe 5 people reviewed it and said it was shit but 100 bought it and loved it, the people who tend to take part in reviews are usually fuckwits anyway.

I just looked at a few reports, and take Volkswagon Polo for example, Engine and gearbox reliability 2 stars??? wtf is that all about, does that mean 60% of the people who reviewed the polo had problems with the gearbox/engine?

Where as the Skoda Fabia gets 5 stars for the engine and gearbox.

It's a crock of shit :)

Reply to
Ronny

Oh, if it were company money I would.

You could get a Superb 2.5V6 TDI for the same money as a Passat 110TDI.

That's a bit of a no-brainer if you don't care about the badge.

Reply to
SteveH

Not quite.

When I had the Passat 4Motion, it was less epxensive to lease than a Superb

1.9TDI Comfort. I had really wanted the Superb up to that point, but I wasn't prepared to pay more and forego the 4WD.

That's leasing though - it could be quite different now.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

My eight year old's friends do that. It's about the most annoying thing they do.

Reply to
Guy King

Nope, that survey is a prime example of how to misintepret data. Any sort of professional statastician would laugh at it (I know I've heard them laughing!).

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

In news:Qy7af.73$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net, AstraVanMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

The equivalent of 50 mpg on LPG, ITYF.

Reply to
Pete M

Yes, they do look s**te. But they're a very well selling car, so it's inevitable that a fair few will get crashed. I bet you haven't seen many VW Phaetons in there. A lot less of those were sold than the Focus. I wonder if that's a coincidence?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

'cooking' Imprezas and Lancers are tediously dull cars.

Reply to
SteveH

AstraVanMan ( snipped-for-privacy@Whataloadofforeskinbollocks.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The *new* Focus? I've hardly seen any about yet.

Reply to
Adrian

In fact, that's a point. I may have been talking s**te.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You probably have, it's just that they're so bland you haven't noticed.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ah. Of course.

Reply to
Adrian

They're still nice to drive, that's what matters to me. Good handling, zesty engine.

Reply to
neutron

You have strange standards.

Reply to
SteveH

Nice to drive? ROFL go get in a car that really is nice to drive like an Elise.

Reply to
Depresion

Yeah, very practical, an Elise. I wouldn't get an Elise anyway if I wanted an out and out sports car I'd go for the Exige or a Porsche Cayman, way out of my price band though and not practical for me. Christ what a mindless suggestion.

Reply to
neutron

You never said anything about practical just a very wrong statement about Imprezas and Lancers being good to drive. I know where to file the rest of your posts.

Reply to
Depresion

Always surprises me when I see recent model cars with parking sensors, and a big dent in the bumper!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp