Removing BMW 155mph limiters...

The straight six does sound sweet on full chat. I'm hoping I'll be taking some piece of exotica myself - in fact I'm going to view a piece this weekend ;-)

Reply to
Iridium

It looks just like this (the straight six one)

Except it's a metallic navy blue. Has those wheels tho.

Reply to
Iridium

Handbags aside, describing a Locost as a kit is incredibly far fetched. I'd suggest Tony knew more about motors and spannering than 98% of this group put together... The 98% to not include Burgerman, Tom, BobSheruncle and a few others.

Reply to
Iridium

What the f*ck would you know about mechanics other than what was required to bolt racking together?

Reply to
Conor

I'm gonna assume that wasn't meant to be aimed at me heh. Even though I know FA about mechanics :-D

Reply to
Iridium

Someone tell Conor that his kill-file isn't working.....

Reply to
SteveH

Ah that's why he replied to me heh.

Reply to
Iridium

How would you know?

SteveH wrote: "I've done it on a bike, but I'd not even consider it in a car."

Reply to
ThePunisher

A Maserati GranSport Coupe thing can do almost 180mph with a puny 326bhp, so I imagine the M5 would have no trouble smacking into it's 155 limiter with a thump. I'll get back you all on that one though ;-)

Reply to
Iridium

Because I've seen indicated speeds over 150mph on a bike and around

140mph in a car.

The bike felt safer.

Reply to
SteveH

Those Alfas sure are s**te.

Reply to
ThePunisher

No, it's all to do with the bike being narrower and making the road feel a hell of a lot wider than it does in a car.

Reply to
SteveH

What roard were you on in the car? a country lane? even I would only do thoses speeds on motorways.

Reply to
ThePunisher

It's OK, the shop floor racking I've used didn't bolt together anyway.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Not too surprised you are confused. Nissan called them all sorts of names. Can't build a brand image without consistent naming and product.

All UK ones are 200SX unless you go back to the '84-'88 S12 Silvia which was a Silvia 180SX in some markets and 200SX in USA, '88 in USA it had a 3L V6 from 300ZX but was called a 200SX V6. The '89-'94 200SX S13 hatchback has a 1.8L engine, the '94on S14 has a 2L engine. All USA S13/S14 cars were 240SX with 2.4L engine. S13 240SX came in coupe or hatch.

In Japan they called the hatch version with 1.8L engine a 180SX, in 91 they fitted a 2L engine but still called it 180SX. 89-93 they produced a coupe with a boot called Silvia. Sadly they left some bits off on both versions, like diff oil cooler and more importantly the engine oil cooler.

'94 onwards S14 200SX is a booted coupe (called Silvia in Japan), it's

100Kg heavier and pays for not having a fastback hatch with a 10% higher drag coefficient. For every bhp in a S13 hatch a S14 coupe needs 1.1 to match top speed, it needs that 2L engine.

Carried on making hatchback 180SX for Japan to '98 alongside S14 Silvia. Then both stopped production for S15 Silvia, which got sold in NZ and Australia as 200SX.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Both lanes of a dual carriage way didn't feel wide enough on a Z1R at even quite moderate speeds. Oddly it didn't weave at wot so 140 on the slip road was good enough to make a 635 owner understand he didn't own the outside lane. Never gave it any thought as what it would be like slowing down.

Reply to
Peter Hill

P1/P2 = (V1/V2)^3 P1 = ?, V1 =155mph, taking highest claimed power and low claimed top speed P2 = 171bhp, V2 = 137mph. P1 = 171x(155/137)^3 =248bhp. It's a crude calc, it's ignored rolling resistance and transmission losses. Result is pessimistic, it will do 155mph on less than 250bhp. It will be a long wave goodbye and a headwind or incline will be embarrassing.

133mph is redline in 4th. Maybe he didn't have bottle to change up at that speed. Or finding the rev limiter made him think he'd killed it, it won't go again until rpm have dropped below 6800rpm (126mph) or by changing up to 5th. 1.5mm washers under the wastegate actuator bracket has increased boost by 2psi and indicated top speed by 9mph. It's such a cheap mod it's called FBU, Free Boost Upgrade. Also causes onset of fuel cut on cool damp days so about 185bhp. Time to get a chip, exhaust and big intercooler. Exhaust by itself and without chip is no better than washers but gives better fuel consumption. 250bhp is about limit on stock injectors and turbo. Stock internals with bolt on mods the limit is around 100% increase in power giving a top speed of about 175mph but that needs a longer ratio diff from a S14 as stock gearing and rpm limiter, limits speed to 163mph.

UK ECU speed limit is set at hex $FF = 255, speed is x2 = 510Km/h so that's not at risk.

Reply to
Peter Hill

It wasn't.

Reply to