Roll cages

Yeah! But not quite as much debt as a normal card, I reckon I will come out of uni with about £8-12k debt, no matter what I do.

Reply to
REMUS

Homer

I'd go for the full cage, not for nothing do people reckon its worth an extra 50 bhp :-)

I was rallying in Wales in March when my Nav (who was driving at the time) managed to have a fairly substantial - 40mph - argument with a big tree. As it was, we just smashed the front end of the car, but had we missed the tree, we'd have ended up down a ditch and quite possibly on our roof. It was comforting to know Mr Safety Devices was there to look after us :-)))

Reply to
Anon

Well i'm going to ring up about an Eibach anti-roll bar kit tomorrow from bigboystoys-uk.com. Which will set me back around 200 smackeroos unless anyone else can recommend something better for the price? The advantage being that if I buy a roll cage next year, the kit can remain in place I think.

After that I think I will curb my expenditure. But then again i'm spending £2k on a laptop&pc soon, although I would prefer to buy a Porsche 944 2.5 ;) and thinking about it... the Porsche is less likely to get nicked as well... ;-(

I really wanted to buy a set of 8x15" bmw rial alloys to go on my golf but I didn't make the reserve and the sod hasn't contacted me since, probably for the best anyway!

Reply to
REMUS

Do you know what you're buying? Eibach anti-roll bars have absolutely nothing to do with or are even vaguely similar to a rollcage. They also won't stop you rolling the car either, they're designed to limit the body roll during cornering, they're a suspension part. The Golf already has them as standard, the difference being the Eibach ones are stiffer and you'll get less body roll.

Reply to
Homer

Yes I understand that, the roll cage stiffens the chassis. But they both have the same result, better handleing.

Reply to
REMUS

You do realise that spending money on some track tuition will make more of a difference to your track times than any amount of bolt-on modifications, don't you?

Reply to
SteveH

Yes, I have already stated I will be looking for a tutor at a later stage.

I want to finish the car to a certain standard before I start even thinking about going on the track.

Reply to
REMUS

yesss, sadly true, RIP bro :(

Reply to
Theo

Better in the dry, once you've had the suspension geometry tweaked to compensate for the reduced body roll. The car will also lose grip quicker, you won't get so much warning when you're approaching the limit. It'll be even worse in the wet.

Reply to
Homer