Rover 600s

You seem to equate 'fastest, newest' with 'best' - which is most definitely _not_ the case.

There is such a thing as fast and dull, you know.

You only have to check my .sig to see that......

Reply to
SteveH

So - they're well built, but the interior trim is a bit sloppy so they squeek a bit (incidentally, that doesn't happen in my 13 year old 75), have a weak gearbox, and the turbo might give you problems?

Reply to
SteveH

Has anyone actually seen or heard of a Ti, from someone they know, that has broke its gearbox? I think thats its just a watchdog enduced myth, like people thinking all 307's set on fire (i think there is 5 confirmed cases or something ridiculous, in the whole UK), and who the hell is STUPID enough not to notice their starter motor is still turning over !?

And i think the turbo thing was a general comment, for any older design turbo engine, including Saab's you can't expect much more than 120k - 150k, and has anyone seen a Ti with a dead turbo?

And who cares if it squeeks, turn the stereo up or rev harder :)

Reply to
Dan405

My car ain't galvanised and it has no rust :)

Reply to
Dan405

Its definately a bargain when you look at the £22k they were new, and the most you can spend on one now is about £4-£5k....

Beemers aren't rustproof either, my mate has a E34 520i, and it cost £3k with 180k miles on a M plate, which seems to be the going rate, and it has been well kept (FBMWSH) and its a bit iffy, everything is worn to hell, it all feels a bit loose, and stuff is starting to die. In comparison, the 405 TD i got as a taxi the other night has 245k miles, and still sounded fine, the interior felt fine and everything (i only sat in the passenger seat mind), but it felt a lot better than the 520, and had done 65k more, although i didn't notice the reg, it can't have been more than a year newer than the beemer (cos they stopped making them). So just goes to show, beemers aren't as great as most people think....

To be fair, no one has yet managed to show me an example, so i'm skeptical as to whether its actually a problem....

Well thats each to their own :) I'd rather have the 4 pot turbo myself (cheaper to run etc). And the 525's aren't exactly fast, so you'd have to get a 530, which is WAY over Ti budget for one worth a crap.

Again, to be fair to the Ti, it has an utterley different set up to the bog standard 600's, and is as such a LOT better. And the alfa would be slower.

But for £2k, you'd have to get a very old, very high mile beemer or Omega, and a slow one at that.

Reply to
Dan405

SD1 with 3.5 V8?

And the 2.7 V6 in the 800 is VERY smooth...

Reply to
Dan405

Does it ? I've never noticed anything...

Granted on that one. Someone must have not been concentrating properly when they signed off the decision to use plastic bearing racers in the gearbox :)

It's an area merely to watch out for on high milers tho, not something that is generally a serious problem. In fact, anyone overly concerned about it could have it rectified by fitting metal racers for very little cash beforehand.

The blower is a weak spot on *any* turbo car, generally due to the way they are driven and the operating speeds and temperature of the turbo. As Nom says tho, unless abused they're good for many, many miles and I was quoted less than £250 for a recon last year from Midland Turbos (didn't bother tho as my original is still going strong).

Reply to
Lordy

Fastest, newest, most comfortable, most reliable, most well equipped, etc. Yea, you're right. I'd pretty much equate that with being the "best for the money" for my requirements.

My requirements being something that is fast, new, comfortable, reliable and well equipped of course. If my requirements were compromised by just wanting my car to be respected in one area (i.e. heritage) rather than a good and complete all round package, I'm sure the Rover would probably not be the first place I'd look either.

Fortunately heritage means bugger all to people with common sense, so I got the fastest, newest, most comfortable and reliable car that was available for the cash instead :)

Reply to
Lordy

"Smooth" doesn't mean "great," though!

Reply to
DervMan

Ford last month, Rover this, anybody want to make odds what it'll be next week?

We can pick holes in _all_ cars.

Reply to
DervMan

Anything that's dull as f*ck to look at, listen to and drive. You can stick a turbo on any dull saloon - but it doesn't suddenly turn it into a good car.

Reply to
SteveH

You're completely missing half of the point of the 620ti.

You get the idea of the donk. Now think about the rest of the package.

And you've not responded to my comments about Alfa Romeo's donks not being ready for the masses, yet.

Reply to
DervMan

Styling is open to interpretation. I certainly don't think ti's are 'dull as f*ck' to look at.

Ah, so you must be saying it must have been a good car *before* they stuck the turbo on then. We convinced you at last !

Reply to
Lordy

Exactly, we can find plenty of things wrong with them for ourselves without having to resort to people who've never even driven them making collective nonsense up :)

Reply to
Lordy

Yea, look at the RX8 :)

Reply to
Lordy

The best one has to be the "poor handling" bit!

/Dervy, who remembers the wonderful noise of a V6 Alfa Romeo 156, and the nose-led handling too/

Reply to
DervMan

are a nice bonus :)

Well yes. He was simply stating that the car has a few commonly occuring faults to watch out for in older age. Just like all cars do really - unless you can name a £2K car that has absolutely no weakspots at all?

Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

200bhp and FWD is never going to be great, but the 600 was never a good starting point.

That's easily solved by either buying a Sportwagen or opting for the superbly balanced 2lt TS unit.

IMHO, though, he sound of the V6 more than makes up for slightly nose-heavy handling.

Reply to
SteveH

Dull, rubbery, bland. Absolutely forgettable.

You have to look after them. An Alfa is more than just another car. It's a live object. It needs care and attention, it needs a bit of fettling. But it's a sacrifice well worth making - look after your Alfa and it'll look after you. Ignore it at your peril.

Reply to
SteveH

There's just so much design flare isn't there? - take one bland 'jelly mould' and tack on a bit of chrome. Lovely. I don't think.

*sigh*

You'll just never get it, will you?

I'll leave you to your bland, rubbery, badge engineered Jap hatchback.

Mr. Average is alive and kicking in ukrcm.

Reply to
SteveH