Satellite thingys

I understand some of you have mangled together cheap GPS based speed camera warning. Please explain what I need and if it's any good.

Reply to
Doki

Pocket PC or Palm with Bluetooth. Fortuna Clip-On Bluetooth GPS Seido PDA mount Bit of software.

Can't recall the name of the software but it's on the website at:

http://www,globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/ If you want realy cheapshit GPS then get a Mitac Mio, which has it built in or a USB GPS bug which will cost about £23. However the Fortuna is the cheapest proper BT GPS and it uses Nokia batteries so spares won't be a problem. You also get a nice kit of mains and car chargers so you can charge both your PDA and the GPS in the car, and USB charger lead. Very well thought out bit of kit and the GPS bug is relatively tiny.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Any idea of price, and how good the things are at warning you? I've no real use for a PDA (as far as I can tell), I just need something that'll beep very loudly when I'm approaching a speed camera, and it'd be nice if it could give me a clue as to the speed limit. Is there a way of fitting the system up to the radio to beep or something? Is it just going to be cheaper to pick a Road Angel as I don't want navigation?

Reply to
Doki

If you look at the URL I gave you'll find the prices. It costs about the same as a Road Angel to put together a PDA based system, but unlike Road Angel it wil do other stuff as well and can also do navigation if you wish at a later date. You dont' need to make the radio beep, the system I listed has a speaker in the Seido mount so when you plug in the PDA the beep will be amplified.

Those Road Angels are IMO very expensive for what they are.

Reply to
Steve Firth